Author Topic: Spitting  (Read 4532 times)

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Spitting
« on: September 21, 2008, 06:05 PM »
When I'm making the final dishes just after I've added the last of the base gravy, I tend to turn the heat up just to reduce the sauce a little and get the right consistency,at this point it seems to spit like hell and pebble dash the entire kitchen including me! I've tried lowering the heat,shaking the pan(this helps a bit) and even using a splash guard but just goes straight through the mesh.

I'd love to know if anyone has any hints or tips to get round this? or is it just one of the perils of curry making that we all put up with,do all bases do this? also I use the base chilled straight from the fridge after defrosting fully,could this be a factor?

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Spitting
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 07:13 PM »
I think the spitting is one of those things that goes with curry cooking,if its a big problem using a Wok would help, but its not really BIR ;)
You need to warm the base up, it should not be added cold as it will reduce the cooking temperature of the dish.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 08:14 PM »
Just part of making curry, I have got better at reducing the amount of mess I cause but there is always a certain amount hanging about after a good session  8)

Like Matt I always heat my base through before using it which may help.

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 12:23 AM »
I use a non stick wok to cook with,I used to use a cast iron korai which i liked a lot but found it difficult to regulate the heat,even after I'd seasoned it and gave it a kind of non stick coating, I found ginger would cling to the base, so i switched back to the wok. Matt you say a wok is "not really BIR", what do you use?/reccomend?.

Next time I cook I think I'll pre heat the base in a small pan next to the wok,should make it easier to ladle in too,I can see now the whole pouring chilled base into hot oil is clearly adding to the carnage!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:12 AM »
it's a cleanup for sure - i don't believe there is anyway of avoiding it - full stop (pans, heating base whatever).

i've recently adopted Admin's swirling trick and not really using the spoon (except to scrape round the edges) - i feel this technique improves the taste and does reduce the amount of spitting (swirl the pan ea time the spitting gets out of control).

on the last visit to my local BIR TA it was one thing that stuck out - there's did not seem to be spitting the same - i'm sure it's just lost on their big cooker but i'm going to try a lower heat on the next go. maybe swirl and lower heat can get it down to acceptable levels without a trade off in the taste.

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 08:47 AM »
I use a non stick wok to cook with,I used to use a cast iron korai which i liked a lot but found it difficult to regulate the heat,even after I'd seasoned it and gave it a kind of non stick coating, I found ginger would cling to the base, so i switched back to the wok. Matt you say a wok is "not really BIR", what do you use?/reccomend?.

I also have a Wok and do use it when cooking BIR. In addition I possess numerous pans see links for my favourites
http://www.nisbets.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?productcode=M925
http://www.hartsofstur.com/acatalog/Stellar_Lamina_Separates.html
I have the 24cm openfry bit more pricey but a lovely pan. 

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 08:56 AM »
I use a stainless steel saucepan and put the lid on when cooking to stop the spitting and this also helps keep the moisture in so I don't have to keep adding additional water....works for me.

Stew

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 09:46 AM »
RobinB

I usually bring the base to simmer in a separate pan before adding it to the curry.

My problem with splattering is caused by adding the ginger paste to hot oil. I now add it with garlic and tomato to the pan cold and then bring it up to temperature. This reduces the spattering. Not BIR practice I know - but saves having to redecorate the kitchen.

©2024 Curry Recipes