Author Topic: Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken)  (Read 27920 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken)
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 10:05 AM »
ty for your feedback foureyes1941, yes it's not one for every day eating, but glad you like it.

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 04:41 PM »
Hi Stephen. I was just wondering if the butter in this recipe is salted or unsalted please?

Regards

Rob

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 06:03 PM »
Hi Stephen. I was just wondering if the butter in this recipe is salted or unsalted please?

Regards

Rob

It's unsalted Rob.

regards

Steve

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 07:03 PM »
Is that because you use only unsalted butter at home, Stephen, or is it because in your experience unsalted butter works better in this particular recipe ?

** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 12:16 PM »

A very good question but, as written, surely most people would assume the 'default' is normal salted butter. I'm surprised that Mr Lindsay got it so wrong and I can't help wonder what else is wrong with the recipe.  And then there's a few 'options'. Either they are used or not - so it's another very unhelpful aspect of the recipe. Perhaps he sought to start again, taking far more care.

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 10:30 PM »
I used unsalted butter when I cooked this recipe as I often find that there is usually too much salt already added to a lot of curries on here for my taste, as I said before, nothing  wrong with this recipe, it was excellent

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 11:09 PM »
Is that because you use only unsalted butter at home, Stephen, or is it because in your experience unsalted butter works better in this particular recipe ?

** Phil.

I do use unsalted butter at home Phil, but the recipe already has salt in it so it doesn't need it int he butter also.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 11:21 PM »
Fine, thanks Stephen, understood.
** Phil.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 11:22 PM »

A very good question but, as written, surely most people would assume the 'default' is normal salted butter. You assume for most people George?

I'm surprised that Mr Lindsay why are you referring to me as Mr as opposed to my forename - is there some sarcasm or condemnation implied perhaps? got it so wrong I didn't get it wrong its what I use!i]

and I can't help wonder what else is wrong with the recipe. Yet again George your faulty logic extends an already spurious argument, you really do excel in generalisations 

And then there's a few 'options'. What's wrong with options I see them in recipes all the time?

Either they are used or not well yes George that's the idea of options you use them or you don't - so it's another very unhelpful aspect of the recipe. Perhaps he sought to start again, taking far more care. start what again? I have made this recipe many times and it tastes great

Tell me George have you even bothered to make this recipe? I have noticed that others have and they seem to like it.

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 11:57 AM »

Regards

Rob

It's unsalted Rob.

regards

Steve

Thanks Steve, I made Makhani sauce years ago from a Madhur Jaffrey book and the first time it was with 'normal' salted butter and it wasn't right. The second attempt was with unsalted and it made a world of difference. Hence my question. Once again thanks.
Just thought I'd bump this one as made it again at the weekend and it's a cracker.

I make the sauce ingredients 1 to spec, but fiddle a little with the second part.

Well worth the effort :)

Garp, can I ask what you done differently with the second part please?

Best regards

Rob 

©2024 Curry Recipes