Author Topic: Xacutti - Chicken / Lamb  (Read 2678 times)

Offline spooner000

• Chef
    • View Profile
Xacutti - Chicken / Lamb
« on: October 13, 2008, 04:46 PM »
Hi everyone,  long time reader of this site, but second time poster. I have been here alot and love the ideas, hints, tips etc and have tried alot and refered all my curry frineds here.

I am here to ask can anoybody find me the authentic recipe for a XACUTTI MASALA. This is the king of curries guys and is hotter and tasier than the Vindallo and Madras, but not quite the Phal. It demands a 30 spice mix and I saw this been cooked without ingredient link on the UKTV Food programme "Greatest Dish in the world"

It looks and sounds amazing. Any recipe I have found online has been just 17 spices??? So hopefully you fine people can help. I dont think theres a link for it here in this site, if there is I appologise for the fuss.

So lets get this going chili freaks, lets make this a hot topic!!! ....pardon the pun....tumbleweed moment..
Im Irish, excuse my humour. ;)

Here is a link to the sites Ive found which is more or less the same recipe:

Thanks in advance for your help.

http://www.spicetheworld.com/recipe.aspx?Value=Chicken%20Xacutti

http://www.recipezaar.com/185768

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Xacutti - Chicken / Lamb
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 05:14 PM »
Xacutti is more of an authentic Indian dish, not a BIR one.

I've made it before, as it is known to be a complex and robust dish. I forget where I got the recipe, but I remember it being from a book, not the internet.

It was "ok" in my book. Certainly not worth the effort to source all the spices, etc. I'd go BIR any day.

Offline RobinB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:20 AM »
Just got back from seeing Oasis at wembley and stopped for a curry on the way back at the passage to india on the Finchley rd, I had a lamb Xacutti and my friend went for a chicken Madras. The Xacutti was described as a Goan dish with malt vinegar and a "special blend of herbs and spices".
The dish in itself was very nice but pretty hot,I assume they used the same base sauce for both dishes,the best i can do to describe it was a lamb bhuna with very finely diced onion and green pepper and large chunks of tomatoes,it had a really thick sauce though,almost like a dhansak,it contained a lot of dessicated coconut and something else which thickened it, don't think it was lentils though,possibly pureed chickpeas? I reckon they add this as some sort of paste towards the end of the dish,and a fair bit of chilli powder.hope this helps.

Offline chowie

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:08 AM »
The 1st Curry Club book (think it's 1st anyway, that's what I call it) has two recipes in, Goan Vinegar Chicken & Mutton Xacutti, the first link supplied in the top post is similar to the Xacutti but has more spices than this book. The only thing the book indicates what may have made it thicker is peanuts.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 03:17 PM »
It demands a 30 spice mix and I saw this been cooked without ingredient link on the UKTV Food programme "Greatest Dish in the world" It looks and sounds amazing. Any recipe I have found online has been just 17 spices???

I saw that programme too and, like you, would love to know the chef's recipe for that specific dish, served on that programme. But he was a top chef from a top restaurant so he's hardly likely to publish his version of Xacutti. And it's only that version which is of any particular interest to me. Any old BIR can attach the Xacutti name to any old dish they knock up but I bet it won't be half as good as the one seen on UKTV. Unless the programme is a total con, it must have been pretty good, to even be a contender. The best 'next step' must be to see if the chef's restaurant does Xacutti and pay them a visit to give it a try. If it's as good as the chef made out, it must be one of his signature dishes. I have a recording off TV somewhere.

Offline spooner000

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 06:18 PM »
I agree George, unfortuneately I live in Ireland so wont be able to pay him a vist, lol although I will se if local places have it here. I too think some take aways / BIR's will throw base sauce at it and the odd surprise, but I honestly think that if its done properly it could really be awesome ! Will keep looking ! 

Thanks to all who took the interest to help out.

©2024 Curry Recipes