Author Topic: Bruce Edwards Comments and Advice - from the man himself  (Read 10222 times)

Offline kid curry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Edwards Comments and Advice - from the man himself
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 02:19 PM »
Brill!!!!!!!!!! :)

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 07:05 PM »
Quote from: BE
Always remember that technique is everything

I've heard this said so many times but have rarely seen anyone define what they actually mean by it.  Your view on what "technique" actually means to you (with examples) would be most informative and would be very much appreciated.
I think i know what Bruce means. A lot of people simply dont use the same techniques as the ones they've seen professionals use. I've seen this so much in all styles of cooking. Think of when you've seen non-natives cooking chinese or indian food. It often looks very different and subdued/hesitant/shy even. A lack of love sometimes, if you know what i mean. I know i'm rambling but stick with me...

We've all seen enough BIR cooking from videos on forums to open kitchens to personal experience to know that the technique/style of cooking is very similar from restaurant to restaurant.
The way the pan is stirred is pretty much unique. If they all do it like that then we should to. Does everyone on this site imitate this?
The best example is the following: Watch the members videos on the RCR site. None of them, including the site's owner/author of the recipes tries to imitate that BIR technique. Aside from that, other big differences are apparant: the equipment used, the lack of heat, adding ingredients to cold oil, lack of speed, lack of flames etc.
These are other users on a different site but compare the videos to BIR videos such as the fatima restaurant and you notice the contrast: it's not the same technique. Not even close.
(CA, your photos indicate that you cook like a BIR chef so this post is not a reply to you but rather a general comment.)

Basically we should learn from these errors by loosening up and trying to cook like a BIR chef. Little things like arranging ingredients like they do helps make that come more naturally.

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 08:16 PM »
Hi Chinois,
Not wishing to cause any bother by mentioning the other site but you make a valid observation, the technique used on most of the videos is a long way from the chef in the fatima restaurant.
 The only videos that come close are by someone using a friends restaurant cooker, they look close to the fatima videos. He has even laid out trays of spices and takes the pan to the spices to add off heat.
 As I have said I am not trying to upset anyone here but all information is good information towards achieving the desired result.
Bob

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 07:18 AM »
i too agree aiming to imitate the technique is a crucial requirement ie typically everyone should have a chef spoon.

©2024 Curry Recipes