Author Topic: Turmeric (Haldi)  (Read 2571 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Turmeric (Haldi)
« on: October 15, 2008, 06:25 PM »
Turmeric (Haldi) is a member of the Ginger family and is used throughout southern Asia for its musky flavour and attractive golden colour.

Turmeric is produced from the root part of the plant. The 'rhizome' is boiled or steamed, then dried and ground to a powder.

The powdered form is frequently sold in Asian markets as 'Indian Saffron' a vastly inferior substitute for the flavour of real saffron. The colour indicates its quality: the deeper the pigmentation, the better the spice quality.

Lightly aromatic, turmeric smells peppery and fresh with a hint of oranges and ginger. It tastes warm, pungent and musky with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

Essential to curries (especially fish curry) and curry powder, turmeric is also an important flavouring for many south Indian dishes. Indian vegetarian cooking relies heavily on it, especially in bean and lentil dishes.

India is the main producer of turmeric. It is also cultivated in China, Bangladesh, South America and the Caribbean.

Used for centuries in the East as a medicine and a dye, turmeric is also thought to have magical properties. On some islands in the Pacific, it is worn round the neck to ward off evil spirits. Taken in tonic form it is used as a remedy for liver problems and stomach ulcers; in ointment form it is applied to treat skin diseases.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Turmeric (Haldi)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 07:07 PM »
don't be put off by the taste of this spice on it's own.

i taste every spice i use and had in the past decided turmeric was a taste i did no like and was sure too much of it contributed to the curries i don't like (those at the traditional end).

it therefore got chucked out of the bathtub.

how wrong i was. it's value is in complementing the other spices. i now buy 300g bags at a time.

©2024 Curry Recipes