Author Topic: Kid Curry's Restaurant Base  (Read 4897 times)

Offline kid curry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Kid Curry's Restaurant Base
« on: October 22, 2008, 07:05 PM »
Kid Curry's Restaurant Base.

6 large onions,
1 large carrot,
1/2 green pepper, (because of strong taste)
1 stick of celery
5 cloves of garlic,
1 inch square piece of fresh ginger,
200 mls of vegetable oil,
1 heaped tbspn of spice mix,
1/4 tbspn of chilli powder,
1 heaped tspn of salt,
fresh tomatoes, equivalent to one small tin,
Water - 1 ltr to 1.5 ltrs of water.

Roughly chop everything up.  Place into cooking pot with oil, spice mix, chili and salt.  Fill pot with water level to the ingredients. Boil for around 45 minutes then liquidise.

The colour should look yellowish.

Now simmer, uncovered until the colour turns darker, adding the rest of the water as you go along.  Remember you can add, but you can't take away.

After around 2 hours the base will turn a darker colour with a thin layer of oil on top. Basically the longer you simmer the better the taste. Simmer, simmer, simmer.

;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kid Curry's Restaurant Base
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:45 PM »
this base is spot on and up their with the best on the site

link to original post http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3071.0

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 07:17 PM »
this base is spot on and up their with the best on the site

Jerry, I'm in the mood for playing devil's advocate, so, how do you know that the base is spot on?

Have you tasted several BIR bases? Have you then compared the different bases when used with different curry recipes?

I'm not sure what makes a good BIR base, but I'm pretty sure very few of us here are competent to judge, and that includes me.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 07:31 PM »
I'm with you there SS, I always wondered how Jerry seemed to be able to rate a base after tasting it :-\ - no offense meant Jerry, it's just this has played on my mind, only I've never brought it up. I don't know what you're looking for in a base. I could guess "depth of flavour, savouriness, blandness, subtley spicing" etc. would be most peoples answer. However how does one judge this?

Really, I would be trying to get my hands on a good BIR base and replicate it. I've got my hands on, and used an average BIR base and it's alright. (duh!) Only once you can try a really good one, or several different good ones, can you judge a base by its taste.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 08:54 PM »
There?s no problem questioning the basis for my "spot on" rating.

it is simply based (sorry) on making the following bases from the site: rajver, saffron, ifindforu, ronnoc, BE's, BB's, SnS2008, ivangoughs, currytester (old version), CR02.

i have simply judged this base in comparison to the results from these bases. i use a std madras curry sauce to test each base and normally try to do a side by side comparison gradually building on my knowledge base (sorry again).

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 09:21 PM »
i have simply judged this base in comparison to the results from these bases. i use a std madras curry sauce to test each base and normally try to do a side by side comparison gradually building on my knowledge base (sorry again).

I have to ask, whos standard madras curry sauce? I can understand the commonly used BE technique but what use is it for testing different restaurant bases that use individual Madras recipes?

You can't rate bases like that! Or atall really! You can only rate curry sauces but not based upon one recipe that you deem suitable.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 10:44 PM »
hi bb he probabaly used the rajver madras sauce with or without the lemon juice  or the BE madras which has fine slithers of green pepper to start with.
regards
gary

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 07:53 AM »
BB,

You can't rate bases like that! Or atall really!

i afraid that's opinion.

if u have an interest in this base then I would make it. if not move on or start an new topic on opinionated base review.

The madras recipe is my own and is based on the rajver madras

Offline kid curry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 07:55 AM »
I'll try that 2nite.

Cheers Jerry :)

Offline kid curry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 02:30 PM »
Please guys i would love to know what you think of the base(love it or hate it)I know its probably got no suprises but even with the spice mix does it work or maybe another spice mix.

I'm waiting for all your experience!

Jerry is a fan! ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes