Author Topic: Bobby Bhunas latest base sauce goings on  (Read 28790 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Bhunas latest base sauce goings on
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 06:54 PM »
adrian,

i too have put the chicken stock to one side - i tried CT's base and it's just not what i've been brought up on.

the rest intrigues me apart from the celery (of course! although the KC base has got me more receptive having now identified that it was cabbage that i don't like in a base).

i will try the whole spice mix. i do feel u need to add cardamom though.

your spice mix is very interesting - i await comment on my yellow v red oil post as this is a turning point for me. i like what u use but i've recently ditch for a very simple basic spice.

i too started on the KD base a long time ago (when the book was released) and again this site has been fantastic learning.

i'm not sure on your method and would appreciate what difference to mine. i put everything in the pot and simmer/boil for 2 hrs, remove whole spice, add water then simmer for at least 1 hr.

very much agree on blitz the garlic/ginger and will try out the ~1/3 proportion which i like.

i was sold on the coriander stalks until last weekend and now i'm not that sure it's crucial. yes it adds that little bit extra for sure but it does not close the gap.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 06:58 PM »
Adrian,

following my recent salt trials and having used the BE spice mix (which i feel u need to use more of than most) i had gone for tsp.

best wishes.

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 07:30 PM »
Been using some "Traditional Kashmiri Masala (Basaar)" from King of Spice instead of the usual BE spice mix plus paprika and its superb! Just about as hot as I can stand - but then again I find a Madras level of heat to be more than enough for me. :-[ Contains paprika,tumeric,coriander,chili, garlic,cloves,ginger,black cardamums,curry leaf, fennel,cumin,fenugreek,mustard,black pepper & ground cinemon!! Be easier to list what it doesn't contain!! Anyway 2 tsp in i/2 pint BE Base plus extra Corriander 1x onion plus the usual g&g tom pure methi etc. At the end I chucked in some sainsburys chinese style chicken pieces and it was luverly
 ;)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 08:04 PM »
Been using some "Traditional Kashmiri Masala (Basaar)" from King of Spice instead of the usual BE spice mix plus paprika and its superb!

I really don't rate this method. I have tried it many times with various techniques. I've just never felt that magic of the Basaar that others speak of :-\

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 08:37 PM »
Been using some "Traditional Kashmiri Masala (Basaar)" from King of Spice instead of the usual BE spice mix plus paprika and its superb!

I really don't rate this method. I have tried it many times with various techniques. I've just never felt that magic of the Basaar that others speak of :-\
Have to agree BB, I think Basaar needs to go on the myths list, I purchased a bag and it eventually found its way into the bin, not the missing ingredient for me.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 08:26 AM »
the Traditional Kashmiri Masala (Basaar) is an interesting one for me. it's certainly not a missing ingredient.

I'll open up another post to get some views on how to use it. i've just bought a packet and have only tried it in one curry using the 2tsp (as mickdabass). i was surprised that i liked it having tasted it out the packet.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 09:30 AM »
I tried the kashmiri basaar, the result s were Ok, but not as good as the Bruce Edward's spice mix I normally use.

I found a madras made with 'like for like' measures of basaar had a sort of 'fizzy' taste, difficult to describe, OK but not fantastic.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 11:20 AM »
I don't know what it is in this base but having made a couple of curries now, I swear, it's got me farting like a monster ;D Absolutely rotten!!! I feel I'm getting closer to the BIR experience! ;D

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 11:43 AM »
Bobby, I'm not up on all the modern parlance, but I believe the folowing would be approprriate:  ":)" and "LoL" !

Farting like a demon's always a good sign!

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2008, 12:08 PM »
I don't know what it is in this base but having made a couple of curries now, I swear, it's got me farting like a monster ;D Absolutely rotten!!! I feel I'm getting closer to the BIR experience! ;D

The Missing 5% ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes