Author Topic: Brinjal Bhaji and peshwari naan  (Read 7176 times)

Offline gideon_farquharson

• Chef
    • View Profile
Brinjal Bhaji and peshwari naan
« on: October 29, 2008, 06:07 PM »
Hi Folks,

This website is a godsend. I emigrated to America nearly 3 years ago and the thing I miss more than anything is BIR curry. There's a couple of recipes missing off my prefect menu, one is Brinjal Bhaji and the other is how to do the stuffing fro a Peshwari Naan.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Brinjal Bhaji and peshwari naan
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 11:28 PM »
how to do the stuffing fro a Peshwari Naan

Is that the orange coconut flavoured centre you're speaking of? Some peshwari I get don't have the stuffing and some do.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 12:27 PM »
This is the (cream coloured) filling in a 'Peshwari' Naan which is essentially almond powder/raisin mix (sometimes with the addition of a little coconut powder). This is pressed and folded into the middle of the Naan before cooking.

SnS  ;)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 12:51 PM »
This is the (cream coloured) filling in a 'Peshwari' Naan which is essentially almond powder/raisin mix (sometimes with the addition of a little coconut powder). This is pressed and folded into the middle of the Naan before cooking.

I've had them thay way too. I prefer the orange coloured filling though.

Offline gideon_farquharson

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 02:00 PM »
That all sounds right.

As you say, BB, some are orange some are not. The ones I usually have are cream colored, stuffed with what tastes like ground almonds, sultanas and perhaps coconut. But there's something else there, almost like it's bound with a sugar syrup or something. And then what, just lay it on top, fold it in half and cook it?

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:27 PM »
I've never come across an orange coloured Peshwari Naan - a Scottish thing perhaps?

Isn't the orange one (BB refers to), a standard Keema Naan?

:-\

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 03:38 PM »
Isn't the orange one (BB refers to), a standard Keema Naan?

Nope :P It's a peshwari nan. Just rather than having stuff on the outside, it has a sort of orange coloured fondant like centre.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 05:40 PM »
And then what, just lay it on top, fold it in half and cook it?

That's it ...

... although sultanas are probably better to use than raisins.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 11:53 PM »
The ones I usually have are cream colored, stuffed with what tastes like ground almonds, sultanas and perhaps coconut. But there's something else there, almost like it's bound with a sugar syrup or something. And then what, just lay it on top, fold it in half and cook it?

Hi Gideon,

Once you've established a mix that you're happy with (i.e. some combination of sultanas, desiccated coconut, coconut powder, flaked almonds, almond meal, sugar...maybe honey or syrup) you need to form the dough into a ball (roughly cricket-ball-sized). 

Stick your thumb into the dough to make a hole from the outside to the middle of the dough. Wiggle it around to expand the hole in the centre of the ball.

Push your filling though the hole and into the centre of the ball (don't overfill it or you'll end up with a mess!).

Close the hole (i.e. re-shape the dough into a ball) and then carefully form the dough into a naan shape - as you would do for a plain naan (you don't really need a rolling pin, just shape it with the palm of your hand and your fingers).

Be careful not to flatten the naan too much or you'll flatten the sultanas!  You also want to avoid the sultanas coming to the surface of the naan dough because they will burn (and become bitter) during cooking.

The same method is used for other fillings too (e.g. keema naans, kulcha naans, etc)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:15 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 03:58 PM »
I too have had a Peshwari Naan with an orange coating or stuffing and I suspect that it is the addition of orange food colouring powder to the ingredients already mentioned, perhaps with a sweetener - honey or brown sugar?

©2024 Curry Recipes