Author Topic: Chicken korma  (Read 63134 times)

Offline Gazza63

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken korma
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2008, 10:17 AM »
I have cooked several Korma's now using the recipe from this thread but using the KD base instead and have found it to be spot on, I don't think that the tomato in the base affects it at all, I did however add a little more coconut about 75grms and a little extra sugar.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken korma. my experience of cooking this recipe
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2008, 05:51 PM »
This is superb. i give this 9 out of 10. sweet mild and not at all like tradit indian cookery.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2008, 01:05 PM »
Bang on George. That's 100 percent quality BIR Korma. I was very surprised indeed. The colour, flavour and texture were all spot on! Here it is.

Oh, I omitted the Coriander as I didn't really think it would go and when I've seen / tasted BIR Korma, it hasn't had Coriander in it. Also, It says add sugar to taste - well I used 1 tbsp and that was perfect for my GF. I put the sugar in th mortar with the whole almonds and found it helped grind things up nicely.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2008, 05:42 PM »
Holy c**p Bobby. That's the best Korma I've seen in a long time.

Which recipe did you use? There's a few mentioned in this thread so I wanted to be sure.

Any mods other than no coriander to finish (which I agree with in Korma)?

Did you use a standard base (which?), or did you use a "Korma Masala" of some sort?

Thanks! Will be trying this.

-- Josh

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2008, 06:02 PM »
Holy c**p Bobby. That's the best Korma I've seen in a long time.

Which recipe did you use? There's a few mentioned in this thread so I wanted to be sure.

Thanks very much Josh, it's very kind of you to say so :D I just used the one at the top of the first page. I used my own base, called Bobby Bhunas Base Sauce July 2008 but it's very standard and I'm sure any will do. I made no other mods apart from those mentioned.

Hang on, actually the recipe specifies spiced oil, but I didn't have any. I can't say that I missed it though.

Cheers, BB.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2008, 04:06 PM »
That's got to be the best looking home made Korma sauce I've seen Bobby! 

Looks brilliant!  8)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2008, 04:19 PM »
That's got to be the best looking home made Korma sauce I've seen Bobby! 

Looks brilliant!  8)

Thanks very much - that means a lot coming from an old pro like yourself!

Good to see you back :)

Offline mattjwood

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2008, 08:32 PM »
Im seriously considering trying to make a Korma out of the recipes i read on this thread, but i just need some things clearing up by all you pro's!!

Right, so to start i have to make the Mark J base up, which i think is quite strange that it contains a whole tin of Tomatoes and 2 sticks of Celery? Does this affect the taste of the korma?!

Then i have to add the ingredients from Georges piece to the Mark J curry base?

I tried to make a Korma before, and i wasnt really keen on the taste. Infact it was fowl. I think i put normal sugar in, which is also stated as a sweetner in Georges recipe.

Is there a better alternative to Sugar? If so, then how much of the alternative do i add?

If i do go through with it, i will add some photo's!

Thanks for the help!

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2008, 10:34 PM »
Hi mattjwood,

Right, so to start i have to make the Mark J base up, which i think is quite strange that it contains a whole tin of Tomatoes and 2 sticks of Celery? Does this affect the taste of the korma?!

BIRs use a base gravy which serves as a common sauce foundation for almost all curries. So the base (Markj's or otherwise) usually makes a large amount which can be refrigerated or frozen and used for multiple curries. The base doesn't have to be Markj's (there are plenty of great ones on the site) although some tend to be better suited for some curries than others.

Then i have to add the ingredients from Georges piece to the Mark J curry base?

No. The base is a recipe in and of itself. Make it and set aside. George's recipe calls for 0.5 pints of base gravy. So add only this much of the base when the recipe calls for it. Markj's recipe probably makes a few liters or so. Which means you will have plenty of base left over to try other curries.

I tried to make a Korma before, and i wasnt really keen on the taste. Infact it was fowl. I think i put normal sugar in, which is also stated as a sweetner in Georges recipe.

Is there a better alternative to Sugar? If so, then how much of the alternative do i add?

Sugar is the usual sweetener, though I've seen the use of brown sugar, mango chutney, jaggery, and others used. Sometimes I've seen caster sugar specified, which is a finer granulation of sugar. You should be OK with white sugar, 1 or 2 tablespoons is usually enough to sweeten up a korma.

Good luck with it and post some photos!

-- Josh

Offline mattjwood

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2008, 09:32 AM »
How many does this Korma make. 0.5 Pints of curry gravy is surely for one person right?

Also, i dont have much oil on the top of my base sauce, so do i just use normal oil? Or do i have to fry a little spice in the fresh oil?

Im doing it tonight!

©2024 Curry Recipes