Author Topic: Chicken korma  (Read 63133 times)

Offline Tamala

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken korma
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2008, 12:44 PM »
How many does this Korma make. 0.5 Pints of curry gravy is surely for one person right?

Also, i dont have much oil on the top of my base sauce, so do i just use normal oil? Or do i have to fry a little spice in the fresh oil?

Im doing it tonight!

Hi Matt,

I would work on about 250ml curry base per person.  Therefore 0.5 pints (285ml) of curry base should serve 1 to 2 people (especially taking into account adding the evap). 

I would work on about 250g of chicken (or other meat) per person too.

Don't worry about not having oil on top of your base, it will come out in the final dish (assuming its in the base in the first place!).  So just use normal vegetable oil when cooking the curry.  Id suggest about 4 tablespoons or so.

Hope this helps  :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:59 PM by Tamala »

Offline mattjwood

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Yeh i used a lot of oil in my base. Infact, you can see the piccies of what i did on friday night when making the base in the same thread as this. Its called " My chicken Korma & Pilau Rice " first attempt!

Thanks for that!

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2008, 02:50 PM »
I use 250ml base for a curry.

If you are using korma I would maybe make that 200ml to allow maybe 50ml of cream personally.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2008, 03:59 PM »
50ml of cream

You want to use evaporated milk as this recipe specifies.

Offline Chris303

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2008, 04:04 PM »
way too much sugar in it. I will just use cream thanks  ;)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2008, 01:11 PM »
way too much sugar in it. I will just use cream thanks  ;)

What, in evaporated milk? I think not!

It's all subjective taste and down to personal taste I know. Use what you like! Perhaps we should award medals to anyone proven to follow a recipe without dramatically altering it and therefore, in my view, invalidating it in many cases.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 05:37 PM by George »

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2008, 01:21 PM »
What, in evaporated milk? I think not!

Maybe he means condensed milk :-\

Offline currytester

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2008, 08:03 PM »
Made this tonight - best korma family have ever had see post on BE's base.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2008, 12:34 AM »
Made this tonight - best korma family have ever had see post on BE's base.

So that sounds like another good combination to try. I hope you don't mind but here's your input on the korma, so it's not missed by anyone checking this thread:

Well well well, Having read most of the posts and having finally devoured the last of the various renditions of my own base, I decided to give this *(the 2008 Bruce Edwards base) a go.....I know....I'll try it on the curry I hate the most - THE KORMA

Quickly I boned out a chicken and diced the breast and threw it into a pan of boiling water - added oil to the wok then some base sauce 120 ml EVAPORATED milk 150gm of creamed coconut 100gm of smashed down roasted salted cashews - brought to the boil added a good pinch of salt 3 tablespoons sugar and the cooked chicken breasts stirred in some chopped coriander and a small pinch of methi. Hey presto curry for 5 - The comments were - you could bottle it and sell it, Its better than any korma I have had before, can i have the recipe, thats the best curry you ever cooked etc

Can recommend this base with Korma recipe

Now for my tea ............ Chicken Patia perhaps?

Offline currytester

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2008, 06:44 PM »
Well since making this the first time I am on my third offering this week by popular request.

This time the only nuts I had left was walnuts - popped up to Tesco Xtra and guess what they only had Dry Roasted nuts - sod it I'll give them a go.

Made the normal Korma recipe for two about 100ml evap, 75gm Dry roasted nuts ground to a powder, some base sauce and oil and 3 dessert spoons sugar and tasted it. Bloody hell I've created the perfect SATAY SAUCE. So as we all love Satay chicken we ate that instead of Korma.

Theres one to add to the recipe list.

©2024 Curry Recipes