Author Topic: Chicken korma  (Read 63158 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken korma
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2007, 01:32 PM »
Hi George,

I hope you don't mind, but I copied the recipe to the first post of this thread assuming that it will make it easier for people to find  8)

Offline simonsimon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2007, 06:48 PM »
Hi all,

This recipe is the first thing I've made from this site (well, the second thing I suppose as I made up the 10 onion version of Mark J's base first) and I tried it out on myself, partner and step daughter tonight.  They said it's the best curry I've ever made and just like a BIR Korma and I have to agree with them .

So thanks to George, Channa, Mark J and everyone else who's had a hand in this recipe  :-*

And with a whacking great batch of base left, I guess I'll be trying out a few more recipes from here soon  :)

Cheers,
Simon

p.s. I had two small variances from the recipe as shown here.  (1) I used condensed milk for sweetner rather than sugar (someone suggested this early in the thread) and (2) the nuts I used were smoked almonds from Tescos. They only have a slightly smoky taste so not sure they made much of a change from the 'standard' recipe.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2007, 08:55 PM »
I had two small variances from the recipe as shown here.  (1) I used condensed milk for sweetner rather than sugar (someone suggested this early in the thread) and (2) the nuts I used were smoked almonds from Tescos. They only have a slightly smoky taste so not sure they made much of a change from the 'standard' recipe.

I'm pleased you had some success with this recipe. I'm left as the sort of stand-in promoter since we haven't heard from the real originator, Ghanna, for ages, unfortuntately.

Although I often despair at the variances tried by some people when FIRST trying a recipe, I can see that both your changes could actually be well worthwhile - I tried toasting some almonds, and I might try the Tesco smoked almonds too.

Regards
George

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2007, 05:40 PM »
Is there a version of MarkJ's base with accurate ingredient quantities?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2007, 10:52 PM »
Is there a version of MarkJ's base with accurate ingredient quantities?

Yes! Please see replies 11 (full version) and 37 (10 onion version) at:
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=279.10

I take it down to just 2 onions pro-rata and it works fine. I've never started with more than 2 onions.

Regards
George

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2007, 09:58 AM »
Thanks George I'm going to do a smaller version as you suggest.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2007, 11:08 AM »
Underwurlde - you said said on another thread:

Anyway, the GOOD news is that using the same base & precook chicken, I went on to create a Chicken Korma for the wife. It is the most accurate Korma I have ever cooked and my wife was well pleased with the result: "Just like from the Restaurant" she said, "That's the general idea!" says I.

I think you were referring to Darth's base sauce, and I'm pleased to hear you made a korma which went down well. Which recipe did you use to turn the base sauce into a korma, please?

Regards
George

Offline underwurlde

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2007, 03:45 PM »
Hello George...

This is how I created a Korma.... Pretty bloody simple really!

Korma (For 2 persons)
Garlic Paste, Creamed Coconut (1? length cut from the block), Ground Almonds ? 1 tbsp, Flaked Almonds, Sunflower oil ? 3 tbsp, Lemon Juice ? 1 tsp, Double cream ? 2 tbsp. Water.
Black Pepper ? 1/4 tsp, Garam Masala? 1 tsp, Ginger ? 1 tsp, Coriander ? 1 tsp.

Base made from this thread:
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=674.0

Pre-cooked chicken
Oil ? 4 tbsp, 1? depth of boiled water.
cinnamon stick ? 1?, Cloves ? 6, Crushed Green Cardamom pods ? 3, Bay leaves - 2, Turmeric ? 1 tsp, Curry Powder ? 1tsp Lemon Juice ? 1 tsp, Garlic Paste - 1 tbsp, Yoghurt ? 2 tbsp.

Gently fry spices for about 1 min and then simply bung everything in a saucepan, bring to the boil & add Chickem (up to 1Kg), cooked covered for 20mins.

Method:
Gently fry garlic for about 1 min, add spices and some water cook for another min & then everything else, stir until creamed coconut melts then finally stir in the base & pre-cooked chicken.

Notes
I did not use condensed milk. I have no comment on this as I have never tried it. You may want to add Methi Leaves to cut down on the next day's wind... (ahem). :-X

I also see that MarkJ's curry base on the whole differs from the one I used for my Korma i.e Darth's BIR recipe in so much as MarkJ's uses a full tin of chopped tomatoes and Darths does not: I personally would not have said that a Korma would have had any tomatoes in it (be it in the base or otherwise). Hell, I could be wrong as I have not actually tried MarkJ's base to make a Korma, I am just speaking from general (pre cr0) experiences.

I would of course say that MarkJ's base is definately suited for a Tomato Khorma dish.

I eagerly await educating!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 04:22 PM by underwurlde »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2008, 05:12 PM »
I also see that MarkJ's curry base on the whole differs from the one I used for my Korma i.e Darth's BIR recipe in so much as MarkJ's uses a full tin of chopped tomatoes and Darths does not: I personally would not have said that a Korma would have had any tomatoes in it (be it in the base or otherwise). Hell, I could be wrong as I have not actually tried MarkJ's base to make a Korma, I am just speaking from general (pre cr0) experiences.

UW

Many thanks for writing out your successful approach to a korma. I agree with you that it's unlikely that BIR kormas contain much, if any, tomato. Perhaps I used a different MarkJ base and/or I may have reduced the amount of tomato, knowing the base was going to be used for a korma. Your korma uses a lot more lemon juice than I've ever added so, if you say it was good, I look foward to trying it.

Regards
George

Offline underwurlde

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2008, 05:47 PM »
Sorry George, I am new to this forum & still finding my way around.... I have only seen one MarkJ base and assumed you used that one!

My bad (as the yanks would say) ::)

I ordered "the" book the other day: "The Curry Secret" by Kris Dhillon & I see her curry sauce uses.... 1 tin of Tomatoes... Her base is the only one detailed in her book and is used throughout for all recipes that call for a curry sauce (base).

To me, a tin of Toms in a base does provide quite a dominant flavour and for that reason alone I was thinking that a base that called for the use of this much toms would therefore not be used for Korma.

However, what is a "Korma":  Slowly braised dishes often featuring yoghurt.
No mention therefore of any Tomatoness or indeed heat! In otherwords, my aversion to use tomatoes is just a matter of my personal taste....

If you think that is a lot of lemon juice then perhaps it may be so... experiment then if I were you perhaps and don't just bung the whole lot in?

Andy

©2024 Curry Recipes