Author Topic: The "Secret Ingredient" Onion Paste  (Read 53247 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The "Secret Ingredient" Onion Paste
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2009, 06:59 AM »
CA,

i too am convinced that the intent is to caramelise. The trouble is the Tandoori Masala adds colouring (as well as the flavour which i like when combined with the cinnamon) and masks what's going on in the cooking.

I normally keep tasting a little and find it changes in taste between 2 and 3 hrs.

Given your prompt i think i will do a control next time making a 2nd batch without the tandoori masala - that way i'll be able to see how the natural colour of the onion changes.

i think i might also add the little sugar as u suggest - won't do any harm at all.

the taste i get tastes good to me - i was just a little concerned that i may not have been getting the full flavour. as u say i now believe that the longer cooking time is not required.

many thanks for thoughts - appreciated.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2009, 04:09 PM »
i did not have time making my last base to make the onion paste (which i normally do in parallel). none of the family knew this happened. no one spotted that the paste was missing. i could tell - but there was not as much a difference as i'd expected.

i've change my thoughts on onion paste to optional as opposed to essential.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2009, 09:24 AM »
i've never really made my mind up when to use the paste - with the spice or after the base. i've seen both and together i think in the Askoka recipes.

i've always used it after the base has gone in - thinking that it's already precooked.

the video link Secret Santa posted recently convinced me to try adding with the spices. i've tried this over the last 10 off curries and feel it's better and have adopted going fwd.

it seems top produce a more rounded dish taste.

i've also done a head to head on the 2 off methods of cooking - blend & cook or cook and blend. the cook and blend remains my preferred method (quicker and more caramalisation)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2009, 06:15 PM »
i've never really made my mind up when to use the paste...always used it after the base has gone in - thinking that it's already precooked.

I think it depends on the curry that you are making. If you add it in with the spices it tends to lose its power and, as you say, you get a more rounded (subtle) flavour from it.

If you are making a dupiaza though, where onions are the predominant featutre of the dish, I stir it in at the end, and only heat it through for a few seconds just to bring it back to the right temperature. This way you retain the oniony, caramelised taste, and some of the onion texture.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2009, 10:14 AM »

I think it depends on the curry that you are making.

Secret Santa,

i can go along with that - probably unknowingly why i'd not really been able to make my mind up. will keep it in mind - bhuna is one of the dishes i make a lot but did not try out with the new approach. might try converting to dupiaza as well at some point.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2012, 10:23 AM »
i've adopted the gordon ramsey which i guess is chef standard of tasting everything.

the last few batches of bunjarra have been disappointing - the taste was just not right.

i still alternate between the original and the ashoka and thought perhaps i was just getting mixed up. i then thought i was getting a tad complacent on the cooking which is critical. you also question down to the difficulty of measring them accurately if i was just inconsistent in the amount used.

i've been using the cinnamom in ifindforu's staff curry and although harder to work out felt this had same problem.

in short have bought a new bag TRS. the previous bag being East End. they do look different. taste them and the difference is huge. both from china too.

will be dumping the east end. the recent experience thanks to ifindforu on mix powder read eastern star curry powder and jalpur - has made me aware of brand difference. sadly it may extend further across the ingredients than we would expect.

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2012, 11:14 AM »
I've been through similar trials over the years with onion pastes, but to date the best I've come across, and the one I use as the default bunjarra these days is from Mick Crawford's (CBMs) book (though I tend to cut back on the tandoori masala a bit).

Once you've got your cooking technique dialled and can get those onions nice and caramelised (takes about an hour), it's a winner.

Add a tablespoon or so about half-way through cooking the curry, then if you have the patience leave overnight for flavours to develop.

The result is one of the most intensely flavoured curries ever - and the closest I've ever got to that 'Glasgow taste' I've been chasing for the last three million years.

©2024 Curry Recipes