Author Topic: The "Secret Ingredient" Onion Paste  (Read 52813 times)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The "Secret Ingredient" Onion Paste
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 08:05 AM »
As far as I'm aware (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong?) this onion paste was never seen or heard of again in any subsequent curry recipes by the poster. 
Yes, for something so important, you would have thought it would be an addition to nearly all his curries

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 08:15 AM »
Well, enough people whos opinions I respect have posted above, to influance me not to bother going down this road!!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 09:51 AM »
this is the original post.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1515.0

i don't feel the results/opinions were conclusive - many people seemed to have difficulty making it.

i've not got the TRS but have rajah (which i think having seen them both on the shelf in my local store) should be similar.

i'll give it a try. it sounds very dangerous though (adding water to smoking oil)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 09:57 AM »
Thanks,Unclebuck,Bod68,Parker21,CoryAnder and everyone else who have commented.The
variation including the tandoori masala and the tomato paste account for the red/brown colour and I am sure now it was CA's version I followed. For such a small contribution to this site this little idea caused a lot of trouble and interesting to see again some people here dismiss it without trying it.

It could be regional variation that helped people to turn away from it or the time to cook it and I now remember the 90 minutes of stirring it after it got to the bread dough stage but hey in my case it made all the difference. Many who had a go with me actually burned it and understandably didn't have another go for fear of yet another wasted 90 minutes.

The smell of it coming out of the ice cube tray was fantastic even a year later.

It was called the "Secret Ingredient" it came into our awareness, it caused a real load of controversy and it disappeared as fast as it came. It has not been found in recipes here once Andy and those who followed him left. I don't know if it is used on the site he started but I absolutely know that in my 30 year search for the perfect BIR copy it made a significant difference and precisely because it did I came looking for it again and asked for your help.

I realise that risking 90 minutes of constant care and attention to what on the face of it seems such an insignificant thing seems just too much for some but I would welcome some of us having a go and comparing notes.

I made the version that came back to me a couple of weeks ago from another post but it was the one without the tandoori paste and tomato paste, it turned out a light green colour but does have remnants of the smell of the one I made at the time of the controversy.

I intend to make CA's version later this week and will use the one above with my curries tonight.

Thanks for contributing to this for me, I will report back in due course.

Offline Bod68

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 12:13 PM »
I didn't really dismiss it I was just commenting on just those few ingredients cooked until it makes a dough like mixture can make any sort of difference...

Anyway as I haven't tried I cannot really comment but may take a stab later this afternoon :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 12:59 PM »
i have it on the go at the mo 60 mins in. tastes good

observations so far:
1) it's going to take much more than 90 mins - i reckon more like 4 hrs. if u try and fry it too quick it just spits. i'm sort of fast simmering it with the lid on and a spoon in the pan to enable the evap
2) adding the paste to the hot oil was not that bad - held the lid over and used my chefs spoon
3) it looks just like the finished madras curry i'm craving for but alas no.
4) it's sweetened a bit after the 1st hr but needs much more cooking.
5) i can smell the cinnamon although a very sutle taste in the paste.

i'm missing the seasoning at the mo though - been watching too much of rosemary shrager's cooking school on channel 4.

pic 1 ingredients
pic 2 start of cooking

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 02:55 PM »
it's done 3 hrs now and i feel there's no benefit cooking further.

it's started to stick at the bottom and needing more frequent stirring. the taste does not seem to have changed in the last 30 mins. i feel it's a paste that's being made and  the "soft bread dough" analogy was not a good choice.

making it again i would puree the onion/garlic more as the finished paste is not as smooth as i would like (but i'm not sure that would matter after being cooked again in the final curry).

it tastes very good - very moorish. this taste is not far off the madras i'm after. i must admit i'm surprised how good the Cinnamon sits - i'd would naturally of used casia (generally preferring it's taste in Indian food).

the question now is will it close the gap and how do i use it.

on the 1st it's no good for CTM etc but it sits very well on the madras front. i'm quite hopeful.

on the 2nd i guess something like 1 tbsp after the base has gone in. any advice appreciated.

pic 1 finished
pic 2 how good it was

Offline Bod68

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 07:40 PM »
Looking good Jerry. Perhaps trying this in Curry Kids recipe or any other recipe might help perhaps? I guess the caramelised flavour "does" something.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 07:44 PM »

Well, enough people whos opinions I respect have posted above, to influance me not to bother going down this road!!

Well you may rightly discount this particular onion paste, but do try instead a very well caramelised onion paste added at the end of cooking. I know this is used by some BIRs and it might be what you're looking for if you haven't already tried it. Start with a couple of tablespoons to see if it helps. You have to fry the onions on a very low heat for at least an hour, and they tend to catch, so you need to stir frequently. It's particularly good in Bhunas and madrases.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 08:20 PM »
Jerry - how did it turn out by adding it to a Madras?

©2024 Curry Recipes