Author Topic: Pizza from scratch  (Read 88904 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Pizza from scratch
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2013, 07:13 PM »
have tried the san marzano on deep pan - please i tried it but not sold.

it tastes slightly better than normal chopped tin toms. i got less pip and stalk when i sieved c/w normal (~0.5). in the tom sauce with herbs etc the difference is lost.

i could not detect any change in the cooked pizza.

certainly not worth the extra dosh (~x4)

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2013, 07:39 PM »
have tried the san marzano on deep pan - please i tried it but not sold.

it tastes slightly better than normal chopped tin toms. i got less pip and stalk when i sieved c/w normal (~0.5). in the tom sauce with herbs etc the difference is lost.

i could not detect any change in the cooked pizza.

certainly not worth the extra dosh (~x4)

Did you drain the toms 1st jerry or did you crush them along with the juice?, I've been using the whole tin but I do think it leaves them a bit watery.

I made a lovely pizza the other day based on tony gemigmani's cholula pizza(video and method on youtube) I substituted the cholula for encona hot sauce though, was good. (Pic below)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:59 AM by George »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Whandsy,

love that pic of your pizza - you're clearly there - well pleased.

i used the whole tin ie crushed the tomato and the juice/water. i add 1 tbsp of tom puree heaped which makes thicker. the "watery" make up seems to suit the high temp cooking though.

will have to look up the cholula.

ps make the sauce 24hrs in advance. the herbs soak up quite a lot too.

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2013, 10:22 PM »
Buzzin,

Just made a couple of pizzas, (Peter reinhart dough) its quite a wet dough but managed at last to toss them into the desired pizza shape! (difficult with high hydration dough if not tried). Anyways, managed to get them off the peel and onto the pizza stone, because the shape was right and the air in the dough had moved to the edge, the crust had the lovely soft aeration that's desired, pics below!  :) :)

Sorry to bore non homemade pizza fans, but getting it rights a bl**dy tough job!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:07 AM by George »

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2013, 11:15 AM »
Looks absolutely delicious, only a little bit too much topping on there IMHO.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2013, 12:35 PM »
The cross-section of the base looks just perfect to me.  I don't anticipate I will ever make one (too much faffing around for what is, after all, only glorified cheese-on-toast, IMHO) but I do miss the days when pizza Napoletana featured on everyone's pizza menus.  A very simple pizza with cheese, tomato, olives, anchovies and herbs, but to my mind greatly superior to the modern chicken-tikka / pepperoni / Hawai'ian nonsense that seems ubiquitous these days.

** Phil.

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2013, 01:43 PM »
but I do miss the days when pizza Napoletana featured on everyone's pizza menus.  A very simple pizza with cheese, tomato, olives, anchovies and herbs, but to my mind greatly superior to the modern chicken-tikka / pepperoni / Hawai'ian nonsense that seems ubiquitous these days.

** Phil.

I know what you mean phil, a simple italian style pizza can deliver a delicious meal standalone, however some of the pizza shop concoctions are better suited for a late night snack on the way home from the pub! (To be fair, at that stage of the night, they're also delicious hehe!)

W

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2013, 10:10 AM »
So after reading through this thread and drooling over the pictures, I was sitting having evening meal with the missus and the daughter was cooking in the background.  I quite fancy having a go at making some pizzas and theres a 15" pizza stone on Amazon for

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 29, 2013, 11:03 AM »
(Pic below)

Whandsy - the trouble was, your picture was not below; just a hyperlink. The insertion of an image is so easy, I'm sure other members can explain how it's done. In the meantime, I've edited two of your posts, so that the fine pictures display in all their glory. Your pizzas look delicious.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2013, 11:18 AM »
(Pic below)

Whandsy - the trouble was, your picture was not below; just a hyperlink. The insertion of an image is so easy, I'm sure other members can explain how it's done. In the meantime, I've edited two of your posts, so that the fine pictures display in all their glory.

Well, you might have rotated them through 90o, George, while you were at it; at the moment they look as if they are sliding off the plate under gravity !
** Phil.

Images rotated as suggested :
-----------------------------

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:20 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

©2024 Curry Recipes