Author Topic: Pizza from scratch  (Read 88712 times)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Pizza from scratch
« Reply #170 on: June 04, 2013, 02:19 PM »
Good effort willy, looks great. Regards the paddle release, I use a combination of flour and semolina on the paddle and quite liberally too, sticking is a pain in the ass, especially with a wet dough!

W

Why not buy a couple of cheap Pizza Pans, most real life Pizzerias use them.
Make life a bit easier, me thinks

Was in a local Italian restaurant last night, grabbed a video with my iPhone,
went a bit wonky, but shows making a Calzone, with a twist.

The Pizza Dough is very simple, 00 flour, fresh yeast, salt and good olive oil.
proved for around an hour, ready to go and very tasty.

http://youtu.be/LDCme2DKr94

cheers Chewy

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 04, 2013, 07:18 PM »
Good effort willy, looks great. Regards the paddle release, I use a combination of flour and semolina on the paddle and quite liberally too, sticking is a pain in the ass, especially with a wet dough!

W

cheers Chewy

Unfortunately chewy most domestic ovens don't reach the temperatures of a pizza oven, so the heat of the pizza stone is needed on the doughs bare surface to cook the dough correctly. It's a bit of a challenge to get home pizza to taste like an authentic pizzeria.

Willys pizza oven looks like it'd do the job with a pizza pan though!

Nice video hehe, definitely pizza fusion!!

Wayne

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2013, 09:44 AM »

W

Was in a local Italian restaurant last night, grabbed a video with my iPhone,
went a bit wonky, but shows making a Calzone, with a twist.

The Pizza Dough is very simple, 00 flour, fresh yeast, salt and good olive oil.
proved for around an hour, ready to go and very tasty.

cheers Chewy

Hi,

I have thought about using pans, I have some good quality ones I use for cakes etc, but I like the way the bottom crisps up just right on the stones when I get the release from the paddle right, really thin and light, not too crispy but firm enough to pick a slice up without too much bend in it.  I always found when doing them in a conventional oven getting the middle cooked was difficult but in this oven I have had no problem at all.

Interesting Calizone I might have a go at making one.
s.
Will

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2013, 10:16 AM »
finally got round to trying Nancy's "mozza" hydration (77%). i made the dough in the evening like they (would normally make in morning) and cold fermented overnight. used 20% sourdough and cooked early evening. dough was good not too sticky and not over fermented.

the pizza were poor (takes too long to cook the center by which time the extremities are over cooked). i'm dropping further effort switching back to 70% hydration which seems optimum (big bubble structure).

still going to look out for the wheat germ and barley malt as these could well be the key elements given the hydration flop.

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2013, 11:34 AM »
What oven temperature are you managing to get to jerry?. I'm managing to get to about 590f and about 600f on the pizza stone, last dough I made was with rheinharts dough linked earlier in the thread and left fermenting in the fridge for 2 days. Very happy with the outcome although I'm curious to try ken forkish pizza dough as well, I have his bread book and the loaves are superb.

A link below
http://www.oregonlive.com/mix/index.ssf/bread-recipes/overnight_straight_pizza_dough.html

W

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 09, 2013, 06:02 PM »
Whandsy,

i don't know the stone temp (quarry tile) for my domestic oven (it hits 550f on dial gauge). i've been on deep pan for ages now and not used the stone in my domestic since getting my Infra Red gun. will take on next use (could be a while given wfo and good weather)

the 77% was done in my doghutch wfo. the stone was at 750f and the oven walls at 600f with 3 to 4 min bake.

i've been using same dough for both thin and deep pan ie 2 day ferment. the 77% being 1.5 day. can post recipe if of interest.

will check out your link. i'm pretty happy with dough and see only fine tuning ie the malt and wheat germ. my wfo is next priority - want to get better top heat to bring bake time down.

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 18, 2013, 08:31 PM »
Well, not much has changed, still to seek out some some pans for a pan style pizza. Also need to source a decent mozzarella block that's grateable. Still using the ball of mozz in a watery bag. Not bad and much better than supermarket grated mozz.

Anways, thought I'd add a pic of one of my recent efforts.

Only thing I'm trying is adding bird eye chillis and chilli powder to the sauce. not authentic to the more serious guys but it really hits the spot.

on a side note
Curries/base making still going strong. I'm a Madras Head, and have 3/4 a week.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2013, 10:14 AM »
a very pleasing pic from harley - just shows with a little effort you can produce restaurant pizza at home.

finally had the opportunity to get Mozza/Nancy's special ingredients (wheatgerm 2.69 1kg, barley malt 2.65 454g). Holland & Barrett being my savior.

used 8g of each in 750g flour (bakers 1%) which i think was to Nancy's spec. the barley malt was instant hit but could not detect difference from the wheatgerm. the barley malt gave a nice hint "beer" in the flavour and i feel helped the top of the crust to crisp and darken much better (than with say honey).

the barley malt did advance the dough more than usual (would make in the evening for cold ferment and use next day as opposed to the make in the morning).

i currently use 5% rye flour which might have masked the wheatgerm effect.

going to play around with the amounts next (say x2).

in short sold on barley malt - a must have for me.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 06, 2013, 02:23 PM »
I've been reading a lot of books about Pizza recently (including an originally Italian book for the Pizza business) and I found it rather odd that almost all of the recipes only have around 60% hydration, especially the original Neapolitan ones. I think I'll actually lower my hydration for the next batch which I'll make next month when I can finally order one of those modded Pizzamakers from Bestron that people on other sites are raving about (for home use).

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 08, 2013, 06:14 PM »
StoneCut,

certainly give it a go. i started out i think at around 60% and found Jamie Oliver recipe at 65% and now settled on 70%.

i think the 60% works down to the very fast bake - i think 90 secs typ. i have a pdf on the Neapolitan spec which might be of interest.

©2024 Curry Recipes