Author Topic: Pizza from scratch  (Read 88031 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Pizza from scratch
« Reply #200 on: June 01, 2014, 10:56 PM »
Nice whandsy, being lazy without checking your posts back, are these conventional oven, stone / quarry tile pizzas?

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 01, 2014, 11:03 PM »
Nj
I used just plain old organic rye flour and water and after about 5 days it got going. Its now a year and half old and it sits in the fridge. I refresh it every couple of weeks.

I started mine similar to the method below. Once doubling in size regularly about day 7 or 8, i gradually introduced white flour with the rye over a couple of days and then eventually used all white flour.

The breads and resultant pizzas are delicious.

http://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/rye-sourdough-starter-in-easy-steps/

W

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 01, 2014, 11:06 PM »
Nice whandsy, being lazy without checking your posts back, are these conventional oven, stone / quarry tile pizzas?

Elw

I use a plain old pizza stone with the oven cranked up on full for about 45 mins prior to cooking. The higher the temperature your oven will go to, the better ;)

W

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 02, 2014, 06:49 AM »
Thanks whandsy. Looks like a well written piece with none of the hoodoo voodoo I've seen in some other sourdough articles. I'll get myself some organic rye flour and try it as I enjoy home baked pizza but can never quite get the base to taste right. Good thread :)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 02, 2014, 10:19 AM »

Elw

I use a plain old pizza stone with the oven cranked up on full for about 45 mins prior to cooking. The higher the temperature your oven will go to, the better ;)

W

I used 4 x unglazed quarry tiles in the past. which were about 50p each whandsy. Also used an oiled pan on top of them for pan.
Guy in pizza place local to me told me their dough is normally 2 days old depending how busy they are.
He also told me he doesn't bother with a baking stone at home, just gives the base an initial bake on its own then tops it. Must try this when I have more time as i'm out of tiles.
B- in- law has a wood fired oven out of which he does 90 second pizzas

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 02, 2014, 12:02 PM »
I just use a Teflon coated mesh mat, such as these:
http://www.planitproducts.co.uk/quickachips.html

Seems to work ok at letting the heat of the oven get to the underside of the pizza.

©2024 Curry Recipes