Author Topic: Pizza from scratch  (Read 88007 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Pizza from scratch
« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2013, 11:44 AM »
in case of interest i've persevered with the serious eats fool proof deep pan and now well pleased with result.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/01/the-pizza-lab-the-worlds-easiest-pizza-no-knead-no-stretch-pan-pizza.html?ref=search

i think i've pretty much stuck to the original recipe but have probably gained better understanding of the making:

1) i put the dough in the fridge overnight (my norm) then take out next morning and leave 2 hrs to come up to room temp.
2) then split and ball and bench stretch "shape" like for thin base. leaving just the final stretching to be done in the tin.
3) leave the dough in the tin for a good couple of hrs until it's risen.

i add 1 to 2 tbsp of veg oil into the base of the tin before adding the dough.

the real advantage over this deep pan method is that you can sort of go out during the day and just top and put the tins in the oven when you get back.

well impressed with the results.

recipe for 2 off 14" based on 0.125" or 3.2mm thickness factor:

bread flour 579g
rye flour 30g (5%)
water 426g (70%)
salt 6g (1%)
ady 6g (1%)
oil in dough 12g (2%)

i also make using sourdough when i have enough supply

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2013, 07:41 PM »
Got any pics Jerry?

The one on seriouseats looks fantastic. Will any thickness of cake tin do, do I need a heavy duty type tin?

I definitely want to try pan pizza, I'm sure my family would prefer it if its like your usual pan pizza at takeaways ie more soft and cripsy where the oil cooks the underside.

Also, no sugar in the dough for that pizza recipe?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2013, 06:28 PM »
harley,

not taken any pics but will do next time. i do like my thin pizza but this deep pan has really hit the spot too. as you say it's that oil underneath that makes it so yummy with the balance of the soft yet heavy toppings on top.

i have bought "pizza" pans. they seem just as thick as cake tins. i think the rim height is important with 2 of mine at 40 mm and 1 off at 50 mm.

i don't think the sugar is needed as the top "browns" naturally down to the longer period in the oven. i have added "sugar" honey for thin pizza to help browning of the top rim. i tend not to like the sugar down to cold fermenting and the feeling that the sugar goes against the idea of slow ferment.

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2013, 12:08 PM »
Has anybody tried using the san marzano tomatoes for the pizza sauce? All the serious pizza sites say these are by far the most flavoursome for pizza and pasta sauce.
   Im thinking of hunting some down but would value somebody else's opinion who has cooked with these as they look tricky to track down and a bit pricey too!

Well pleased with the pizzas im turning out now, but getting the bl**dy things off the peel and onto the stone is an art in itself.

W

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2013, 01:25 PM »
I've only used canned San Marzano tomatoes but they taste great (also for pasta sauces).

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2013, 06:24 PM »
pic of the serious eats foolproof deep pan (14 inch, 11 min bake, ~500F):

Whandsy,

i can feel you're pain. i was likewise feeling i'd never get a pizza down the peel successfully. you will get there. the use of a flour semolina mix was the 1st step forward. i feel with time you also build a gut feeling for how wet the dough is and can add more bench flour when shaping to compensate. getting the amount of sauce just right helps too.

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2013, 07:47 PM »
Superb looking pizza there jerry, I've been sticking to the Italian style thin crust, I think I just need to be more liberal with the flour semolina mix for the peel removal.

Have you ever used San marzano toms? Stonecuts happy with them, I'm happy with my own pizza sauce however if there's something better out there........! :o

W

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Whandsy,

not not tried the san marzano down to never seeing on shelf locally. i do think they would make a difference but not enough to mail order.

i too think the other ingredients in the sauce also matter and tuning them to what you like gets you quite a long way to being sorted.

i'm sure peter reinhart of pizzaquest rates them and for me he knows his stuff.

my fav still remains the thin base but the deep pan are certainly well worth a try

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2013, 03:02 PM »
Whandsy,

not not tried the san marzano down to never seeing on shelf locally. i do think they would make a difference but not enough to mail order.

i too think the other ingredients in the sauce also matter and tuning them to what you like gets you quite a long way to being sorted.

i'm sure peter reinhart of pizzaquest rates them and for me he knows his stuff.

Jerry (or anybody)
I nearly took the plunge on mail ordering some San marzano's but before processing the order I did a quick web search and noticed the larger tesco stores stock them. Even better is that they're on offer down from

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2013, 05:54 PM »
Whandsy,

spot on detective work. will have a look for them.

ps got a tin - tesco finest ehh. "Pomodoro S. Marzano Dell'agro Sarnese - Nocerino". will try em out this next week.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:21 PM by JerryM »

©2024 Curry Recipes