Author Topic: Grow Curry plant (Leaves)  (Read 3753 times)

Offline tcapewell

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Grow Curry plant (Leaves)
« on: November 09, 2008, 11:03 PM »
Hi all,

Great site btw.

Anyway, living in Newbury, I'm not exactly spoilt for shops that stock the necessary herbs and spices needed for currys, and have to stock up whenever I visit my sister in Tooting, so I'm v interested in trying to grow a few of my own. 

I've just got underway with the fenugreek, so fingers crossed (I'm not v greened fingered), but I'm wondering is it possible to grow a Curry? plant to get the leaves?

I normally buy a bag of stems, so don't know if it's possible to start with these?

:D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Grow Curry plant (Leaves)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 12:24 AM »
I'm wondering is it possible to grow a Curry? plant to get the leaves?

I normally buy a bag of stems, so don't know if it's possible to start with these?

Hi TCW, welcome to cr0.

Yes, curry leaf plants easily grow (outside) in a warm, sunny, location in well drained soil.  Which, of course, may be a bit of a problem in the UK  :P

You may be OK leaving it in a pot and bringing it inside in autumn/winter (placing it in a warm, sunny, location...haha)....or using a greenhouse.

Not sure about using your "stems", which will have been around a while.  I think you're probably better off trying to get a plant (from a nursery?).

Attached is mine which grows happily in the garden (I'm not in the UK though  :P)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 03:25 PM »
I've just had three healthy (approx 4") curry leaf trees (Murraya Koenigii) delivered from here. I believe Janet's son grows exotic plants as a hobby!

Plants are 4.00 each plus 5.00 p&p for up to 3 plants within the UK and you will need to send off a cheque before they despatch the plants to you.
SnS  ;D

Janet Elliott
1 Old Hall
Barsham
BECCLES
Suffolk
NR34 8HB

Tel:  01502 717475

http://www.oldhallplants.co.uk

Offline sarannan

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 11:28 AM »
hey i think this is not the curry leaves i have seen it as a different places but this is different

©2024 Curry Recipes