Author Topic: Indian Pickle  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Indian Pickle
« on: November 15, 2008, 12:57 PM »
I used to have this land-lady who was once upon a time married to an Indian man.  She spent years living in India....not sure which part and not that interested at the time....I was in my early 20's.  Anyway, she used to concintuously cook Indian dishes for me.  They were magnifiecent.  Anyway, she used to have this Indian Pickle which she had made up herself and it was really good.....I remember here calling it what I thought was Panch rang.  I did a search and this is what I came up with and really does look what I rember eating at her house some 20 years ago.  (I can remember her telling me that panch meant 5 in some Indian language.)

http://www.tarladalal.com/recipe.asp?id=3013

Anybody tried this or better still tried making it or have a recipee for it?  Would it be easy to get the ingredients in the UK? :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Pickle
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 07:27 PM »
Yup, panch phoran.

Indian five spice, usually used for pickling as you say.

Achari curry is authentically made with it, but nowadays in BIR cooking they just add a dollop of Lime pickle or similar.

Ingredients are easily obtained in almost all supermarkets now, and if not, in the local indian corner shop!

©2024 Curry Recipes