Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Curry Base  (Read 112396 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Base Gravy from Ashoka at the Quay
« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2009, 07:20 PM »
OK this is a very simple post. I have just made the Ashoka base (scaled down by a third), the garlic / ginger paste, and the onion paste.

It is absolutely delicious and looks identical to the photos posted. I agree it is salty but I am OK with that.

Have produced yummy Korma (no added spices), Pathia and Madras.

Thanks for this topic and again can I say the curry base is superb!!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2009, 07:45 PM »
Thanks for this topic and again can I say the curry base is superb!!

Ok, I haven't tried it yet so I am basically talking out my backside here, but why in the name of god is this any better than any other base? It has bog standard ingredients and I don't believe for a minute that the margarine is the 'secret' ingredient, or would make it in any way a 'better' base.

Again with the garlic/ginger paste, what's the big deal? We have been frying blended garlic/ginger paste at the start of our curries since almost the dawn of cr0 (4 years ago).

The bunjara - I have recommended a fried onion paste (french onion soup style) as an addition to curries like bhuna etc., literally a few weeks before Panpot started posting the Ashoka method. In fact I can, if pressed, go back probably a couple of years where I suggested the same thing. Now I agree the Ashoka bunjara is a bit more complicated than very well caramelised onions, but still!?

I said in a post a few weeks back that I see nothing new in this Ashoka method and I still don't. I have been bunjararing, G/G paste frying etc. for ages and frankly it just doesn't do it for me. That said, given all the positive feedback, I am just going to have to make it all, to the letter, and report back. I hope I find the same excellent results that everyone else here seems to be getting.

BTW I'm in a bad 'curry' mood, so if this comes over as negative it's because that's the way I feel just now.   >:( :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 03, 2009, 09:57 PM »
Just to clairfy on Santa's point I didn't imply the base was better than any other, merely that I made it and it tasted yummy.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:54 PM by Stephen Lindsay »

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 03, 2009, 11:56 PM »
This base did have a unique taste compared to the others I've made, which I put down to the coconut. But without an Ashoka recipe for a Madras, I don't feel it is any better than some of the other bases here. In fact, there is something of a sickly taste in this base I can't put my finger on why (I think CA noticed this too), plus the abundance of salt (this must have been a mistake by the chef when he provided the scaled down version).

That said, this base (and the other recipes provided by Panpot - bunjara, etc) are indeed BIR recipes. The caramelized onion bunjara I think is a valuable add. As SS pointed out (and others before) this may be something we were missing. In terms of the "last 5 percent" I don't think these recipes deliver that. The best answer (dare I say it - now that we can dismiss the base) was the one that suggested the recycling of the oil. I'd still like to pursue that.

Really too bad we don't have a Madras recipe to test out the Ashoka with. The efforts I've tried to put together using Ashoka base and previous final Madras methods, etc have been frankly a step backward in some regards.  My key dishes are Madras/Vindaloo and CTM. We didn't get a first hand Madras recipe, and I can tell by looking at the Masala recipe that its nowhere near what I recall as CTM. For those who have said that they tried the Bhuna and are now totally satisfied, that's great. I guess I'm just not that big of a bhuna fan.

Until then I'm going to continue on with the Bruce Edwards base and Madras. That's been my best Madras. I will however continue on with the bunjara (and I like spooning off the oil layer to use in the curry) and take a few of the plus points from the base recipe (coconut was a big one) and adjust the BE slightly.

Hoping Panpot can get back in there in the New Year. In the meantime I might have a go at recreating the BIR fryer oil through some experimentation.

Bobby Bhuna - did you ever get back into that new takeaway to see if their food improved now that they've had time to mature the oil process?

-- Josh

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2009, 01:23 PM »
Personally i think the ashoka base is ideal for bhuna, rogan josh and other rich flavoured curries. I have not tried the ashoka korma, but am sure it will taste great also. I will not be using the ashoka base for my madras, as i feel madras needs carrot, plum tomatoes and red peppers in the base. This is not mean't as a criticism of the ashoka base, and is just a personal preference thing. The ashoka base has produced such great curries for me, this past 2 weeks, that i will make at least one batch per month of the ashoka base for lamb bhuna. I wont be using the ashoka base for madras and dansak and vindalloo though. Although i am sure it could be used for those, if you were determined enough, and possibly created your own custom paste to add to the final dish. Since this ashoka thread has appeared, i no longer buy takeaways, as mine taste just as moorish. And my portions are 3 times as big  ;D with a wasteline to match !

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2009, 03:16 PM »
Josh its a shame you are not a bhuna fan, as i feel that the ashoka base and lamb bhuna recipe, has closed the final 5 percent, for the lamb bhuna dish. I agree with your comments on the banjura oil, its a great addition to the site. I intend to use the banjura re claimed oil with my madras, and expect it to add a new subtle slightly sweet flavour. Hopefully this year we will close the final 5 percent with madras.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2009, 04:35 PM »
I have made Madras (Cory Ander's recipe), Korma and Pathia (using my own recipes) with the Ashoka base and they all turned out excellent, as good as anything I can get locally. Not sure if they are 95% or 100% or whatever but they are damn good (IMHO)!!

Gonna do Lamb Tikka Masala this evening - can't wait - yum!!!

Offline Frying Tonight

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2009, 06:13 PM »
I cooked the chicken bhuna to spec and it was beyond brilliant.  The best curry Ive made and Ive made many. Tried the korma too but it took too much cream to cut the spiciness of the base.  It was boring so added coconut powder and almonds.  Quite good. 

Im optimistic about a madras recipe.  Two weeks ago I didn't think my bhuna would be that good so why not madras?

Thanks Panpot for sharing the recipes.   
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 04:19 AM by Frying Tonight »

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2009, 06:16 PM »
I've now  made curries from both Darth's base and also the Ashoka base and I've tried both with chicken bhuna, they seemed to produce a very similar (tasty) curry.
Where the Ashoka recipe stood out was at the weekend when I made the lamb bhuna and all I can say is wow it was absolutely unbeatable IMHO
I have also made a  ctm with Darth's base and again a simply stunning result, which is saying a lot as my family are really fussy about BIR takeaways.

So in conclusion two thumbs up and well deserved praise.

Rob.

P.S just need a good passanda recipe now  :D

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2009, 02:08 AM »
Thank you so much panpot!!  ;D
I've been reading these ashoka threads with interest from the start and this weekend have cooked the paste, banjura, base and curries. Beautiful curries, perfect BIR standard! I reduced the salt and cumin in the base to half and cooked it for about 3h after blending. This was because it wasnt cooked after an hour and it kept getting mellower.
I had got close to perfect recently by using ketchup/chutney/chilli sauce but the banjura can now replace these. I think the banjura is the most important learning step for me as i knew a sweet and savory element was important. I will be using it in most of my curries now.

The bhuna was brilliant and i did a madras and a korma which were just as good.

Madras: on high heat i cooked 1tbs garlic in banjura oil until lightly brown, added 1tbs ginger garlic paste and cooked for about 30 secs. Then added 1tsp methi, 1/2 tbs salt, 1/2tsp chilli powder, 1tbs of my spice mix, 4tbs tomato puree mixed with equal parts water and 2 quarters of fresh tomato. Then i added the marinated raw chicken. Next i added about 4tbs banjura and started adding base after about 30 secs. I didnt use much base (2 chef's spoons maybe) and added a bit of water as i had cooked my base down thicker than normal. I added juice from half a lemon and a bit of fresh coriander after the first bit of base and 1 tsp MSG near the end.
The result was just like my favourite madras from the light of bengal in winchester. Melt in the mouth consistency with a strong savory spicyness that was delayed by a second. Just how i wanted. I had thought that carrot might be used to get that 'melt in the mouth mellowness' for some reason but have now realized that a base like combined with banjura achieves this result.

Korma: I used the fatima restaurant technique. On high heat i cooked the marinated chicken in banjura oil for about 30 secs, then added about 4 tbs banjura and 1/2 tsp salt. I then added a chef's spoon of caster sugar, 2 of coconut powder and then the base (cant remember how much, maybe 2 chef's spoons) and a bit of water as my base was quite thick. I added a chef's spoon of single cream and cooked for a few mins on medium heat until ready. I added 1tsp MSG & 1tbs ground almonds but am not sure how much these help.
The result was perfect. I have found korma to be the easiest dish to replicate but the taste of this base and the banjura did helped. I do not think this base is too strong for a korma.

My base tasted damn good on it's own - Thanks so much for getting these recipes!
For me the missing 5% has been discovered. I have noticed the use of caramelized onions in 2 BIRs (one in romiley and one in bishops waltham) since reading about it.

©2024 Curry Recipes