Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Curry Base  (Read 112416 times)

Offline knighty76

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Base Gravy from Ashoka at the Quay
« Reply #230 on: January 27, 2009, 10:56 AM »
Quick question about the bunjara.. not off topic I don't think, since this seems to be an integral part of the whole Ashoka base/bunjara/garlic and ginger kit. What's the best way to store this stuff in appropriately portioned sizes after making it up in bulk? I'd heard something about ice cube trays I think.. do you then use a couple of cubes when you whip up a curry? I tend to put stuff in freezer bags.

Ditto the same question about the ginger/garlic paste.

Thanks all, sorry if this has already been covered.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2009, 11:34 AM »
Hi K76,

Good question K76. 

The Ashoka restaurant undoubtedly don't ever freeze it because they use it quickly.  However, this isn't very practical for home use. 

Therefore, I blitz the onion paste, in a mini blender, then freeze it in an ice cube tray (tablespoon and teaspoon sized portions) and then transfer them to a sealable sandwich bag for freezing and storing until required.  Then it's a simple matter of defrosting (one lump or two) when you add it to a final curry.

I also do the same (ice cube tray and sealable bags) for ginger and garlic made from blended fresh (blended with water or oil).

Offline knighty76

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2009, 12:50 PM »
Brill, thanks for the reply Cory that makes perfect sense.

Offline stargazer

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 04, 2009, 04:34 PM »
60 gms  Salt? Wow! This is heavy on sodium How many finished curry portions does this recipe make? 6 gms/tsp = 10 tsp x 2300mg for a total (not including the margarine) of 23,000 mg of sodium.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 04, 2009, 04:43 PM »
60 gms  Salt? Wow! This is heavy on sodium How many finished curry portions does this recipe make? 6 gms/tsp = 10 tsp x 2300mg for a total (not including the margarine) of 23,000 mg of sodium.

have you read all the posts??

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2009, 07:31 PM »
I blitz the onion paste, in a mini blender, then freeze it in an ice cube tray (tablespoon and teaspoon sized portions) and then transfer them to a sealable sandwich bag for freezing and storing until required.  Then it's a simple matter of defrosting (one lump or two) when you add it to a final curry.

I also do the same (ice cube tray and sealable bags) for ginger and garlic made from blended fresh (blended with water or oil).

CA, how do you rate the taste/strength over fresh? I am reluctant to try it as the ginger/garlic paste and the onion paste lasted 2 weeks in the fridge when i made them.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2009, 11:31 AM »
how do you rate the taste/strength over fresh? I am reluctant to try it as the ginger/garlic paste and the onion paste lasted 2 weeks in the fridge when i made them.

Hi Chinois,

I can't say that I notice any difference between fresh and frozen garlic and/or ginger paste.  I blitz mine in a little water (rather than oil) because it freezes better.  It's definitely still miles better than bottled garlice and/or ginger pastes.

I also can't say that I notice any difference between fresh and frozen onion paste though, because it contains lots of oil, it doesn't freeze particularly well (though it does freeze adequately).

I freeze many curry ingredients (e.g. onion, chillies, capsicums, onion paste, garlic, ginger, coriander, tomato paste, curry base, curries, precooked meats, rice, naans...). The only ingredient I find notably inferior to fresh is coriander (leaves and stalks), and even that's not too bad provided you don't chop it up too finely.

Ultimately, I guess it's a question of convenience.  I find that the convenience (and minimising waste) far outweighs any minimal degradation in quality.

I suppose if you're happy with it in the fridge, and you're able to use it before it goes off, then there isn't really much point in freezing it.

Offline stargazer

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 05, 2009, 10:19 PM »
Read most but not all.....

have you read all the posts??

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 06, 2009, 06:57 AM »
I was channel hopping last night, as you do when tv is crap and what do I see...the ashoka group selling foil packets of curry on one of the shopping channels... whatever next ?

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 06, 2009, 07:26 AM »
I was channel hopping last night, as you do when tv is crap and what do I see...the ashoka group selling foil packets of curry on one of the shopping channels... whatever next ?

Deep frozen toilet rolls?  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes