Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Curry Base  (Read 112055 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Base Gravy from Ashoka at the Quay
« Reply #240 on: February 06, 2009, 05:39 PM »
Bottled Scotch mist perhaps

Offline elephant man

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 17, 2009, 04:48 PM »
Made this recipe last night(The first time I have ever made a curry base)And it looked the real deal in every way..the texture was exactly the same but 1 thing spoilt it for me and that was instead of it being a Madras is was more like a garlic chicken curry..the garlic overpowered the whole curry and ruined it for me.

Offline Onion B

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Hi,

I am about to attempt this this weekend (half batch) but I have one question you say
125 gms Vegetable margarine (East End Brand) and 125 gms of oil
What type of oil would that be. I have searched this post to see if anyone had asked the same question, but there is 25 odd pages!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 15, 2009, 06:50 PM »
OnionB,

i use veg oil in all the bases i make. i think some use sunflower and some even mustard. veg oil works just fine.

i would also add that the East End Brand is not essential. i'm currently using KTC veg marg (i could not get the East End this time although i used it originally).

Offline stevejet66

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 22, 2009, 01:25 PM »
Hi everyone. ive studied this over and over, what i cant get to grips with is my base sauce was bright orange as this is much darker and as not to make to much i halved the whole recipe. with a sixty ltr pan it looks very full but when i halved it i had about six portions of sauce. as anyone else tried this one.
much appreciated.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 23, 2009, 08:06 AM »
the ham,

i would not be overly concerned at the colour (the camera don't always capture it quite right). i think mine was a bit orange.

i think i made a 1/2 batch. i used 1500g onions and it produced  3.15L finished or 10 portions for me.

the only thing that comes to mind is yours could need thinning with water as possibly more has evaporated inadvertently during the cooking. this base as i recall produces a very thick consistency which enables some thinning at the end of cooking (on this particular base i added an extra 1.0L during cooking and it was about right at the end with the 3.1L finished).

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 07, 2009, 02:00 PM »
Hi, I've been away from the site for a wee while primarily due to moving from France back to the UK, business and I tend not to cook curry in the summer months.

I have yet to catch up on all the threads but did restart my cooking yesterday. As you might expect I returned to cooking all the sauces and pastes from The Ashoka.

I made the Base sauce and as you point out JerryM above it does turn out fairly thick. I cooked a couple of Bhuna Chickens last night that might wife said was my best ever.

I got 11 double portion's of the base sauce  out of the process that I will thin during cooking.

The Bunjarra and Onion/Ginger Paste both turned out great too. I will enjoy catching up throughout the site over the coming weeks. I have the other sauces now from The Ashoka together with few recipes that I will post in due course. Glad your all still here and the new look site is cool cheers Panpot

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 07, 2009, 06:44 PM »
I have the other sauces now from The Ashoka together with few recipes that I will post in due course.
 cheers Panpot

Welcome back
I look forward to your new recipe posts!!

Offline billycat

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 07, 2009, 10:51 PM »
Yeah Welcome back panpot

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 08, 2009, 11:24 AM »
Cheers guys thanks for the kind welcome back. I will post the rest of the Ashoka recipes as soon-as I can but I am on the road with work so it may be a few weeks yet but worth waiting on I suspect as I have still to have ago with them myself.

©2024 Curry Recipes