Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Curry Base  (Read 112405 times)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Base Gravy from Ashoka at the Quay
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2008, 10:17 AM »
CA awesome photo!! you got put that in the gallery  :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2008, 10:31 AM »
you used the chilli paste as well

I used chillis blended in water rather oil (what I normally use).

Quote from: Josh
Did you use the marinated chicken and what did you think of that?

No, I used straight cubed chicken breast and cooked it in the pan.  I will try the Ashoka marinating sometime though
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 10:46 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2008, 10:38 AM »
you say this isn't anything special vs otehr bases

I said it's similar to curries produced using other of the better bases on the forum.  That's not meant to be a critisism.  But, for me, I certainly don't consider this base (plus other ingredients) to be a quantum leap forward (if a leap at all)....sorry...believe me, I wish it was.

Quote from: jeera
but I notice you added extra  stuff to the final dish (1tsp spice powder for example).  Have you actually tried doing the original recipe?

There isn't an Ashoka madras recipe (yet).  So I used my own best guest (tried and tested) madras recipe.  I've yet to see a madras recipe without spice mix in it.  I'm interested to see what the Ashoka madras recipe (and vindaloo, phal, jalfrezi, dhansak, patia, etc, etc  :P) looks like if PP can get hold of it and is good enough to post it  8)

Otherwise, the nearest Ashoka recipe is the bhoona, which isn't for me.  You're quite correct though, the Ashoka Bhoona recipe doesn't have any spice mix in it.

Quote from: jeera
And why add more salt to your final when you already kmow the base is very salty ?

Who says I did?  I said "add salt and sugar to taste".  Seems reasonable to me  8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2008, 10:40 AM »
CA awesome photo!! you got put that in the gallery  :)

Thanks UB  8)

....but I don't think anyone looks at the gallery do they?  :P

Offline Jeera

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2008, 10:57 AM »

Adding 1 tsp spice powder is more likely to get you a similar result to other curries since this becomes the most potent flavour. You should try doing one without the powder to see if it make a significant difference for you. My view is that 1 tsp chilli powder would be a better bet to get the heat you might be looking for without completely changing the intended balance of flavours in the final.

Who says I did?  I said "add salt and sugar to taste".  Seems reasonable to me  8)

At risk of becoming pedantic on this point, why even mention adding (or potentially adding) salt ? If someone was to copy this recipe they would be more likely to add salt and completely ruin it.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2008, 11:14 AM »
You should try doing one without the powder to see if it make a significant difference for you. My view is that 1 tsp chilli powder would be a better bet to get the heat you might be looking for without completely changing the intended balance of flavours in the final

What?  Should I?  There IS no "final" Ashoka madras recipe (yet) so how can you say what the "intended balance of flavours in the final" is?  I DID add a tsp of chilli powder.  Tell you what, YOU do it and report YOUR findings eh? ;)

At risk of becoming pedantic on this point, why even mention adding (or potentially adding) salt ? If someone was to copy this recipe they would be more likely to add salt and completely ruin it

Yes, you're being pedantic.  I did't say the base was "very salty", I said it was "quite salty".  And "salt to taste" means precisely that.  If you feel it's salty enough, don't add any more salt.  That seems reasonable to me Jeera  ::)

Jeera, this wasn't intended to be a recipe, per se, or I would have been more specific and posted it in the recipe section.  I simply wanted to indicate how I went about making the madras.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 11:28 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2008, 12:10 PM »
I suspect that it's better than you think

Have you tried these recipes yet Haldi?  I'd be really interested to know what you think of them?

Offline CurryCrazy

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Cheers CA - the more of us that try this out and report back the better.

I've still got some BE base left in the freezer, but as soon as thats gone I'll give this a bash. Over christmas I hope.

And yes, I look at the gallery...but not too late at night otherwise I go to bed craving curry  ;D

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2008, 05:38 PM »
Have you tried these recipes yet Haldi?  I'd be really interested to know what you think of them?
No, not yet
I've been trying out other things
I spent quite a bit of time in a new takeaway's kitchens, and have been trying to copy their methods (which are different to the Ashoka's)
The only two things in common, are that they use curry gravy and a "secret" paste.
I've got a full freezer of Christmas goodies at the moment, I have no space for another base.
I will never tire of hearing other people BIR experiences, but I no longer believe it is possible or practicle to produce 100% BIR at home

Actually that's not quite true
I achieved 100% but using their oil in my base
And that oil is definitely unreproducable at home

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2008, 05:41 PM »
Interesting comment about the oil but how does that account for those restaurants that simply use oil straight from the bottle ???

©2024 Curry Recipes