Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Curry Base  (Read 111313 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Base Gravy from Ashoka at the Quay
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2008, 06:04 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that the image of the finished base from the BIR looks nothing like the one that the recipe produces? The BIR one is far darker. I wonder why this is!

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2008, 08:27 PM »
Yes, I noticed that too.

Probably down to the scale issue when the chef gave the info to Panpot.

I would have preferred to get to the full 60L recipe and for the forum to discuss the best way to scale down, rather than have the chef estimate reduced quantities.

-- Josh

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2008, 08:33 PM »
I would have preferred to get to the full 60L recipe and for the forum to discuss the best way to scale down, rather than have the chef estimate reduced quantities.

Yes, that would be preferable. However, we should be grateful for what we have. (not in any way implying that anyone is not)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2008, 11:18 PM »
I achieved 100% but using their oil in my base

Hi Haldi,

So it seems that you've progressed recently Haldi?  Just to clarify please:

Recently, you said you've achieved 100% BIR at home, but only when using their base. 

Now you are saying that you've achieved 100% BIR at home, using your own base, but using their oil?

That's VERY interesting...if my understanding is correct? 

It's a significant shift in your opinion in that it suggests that BIR curry bases CAN be scaled down and that OUR FOCUS needs to be on replicating the BIR oil (though I accept that you think it can't be replicated on a domestic scale). 

I think a separate thread on replicating the BIR oil is warranted?

Offline rallim

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2008, 05:12 AM »
I achieved 100% but using their oil in my base

OUR FOCUS needs to be on replicating the BIR oil (though I accept that you think it can't be replicated on a domestic scale). 

When I asked an owner/chef from an Indian restaurant, along with the spices how did he achieve the taste in his dishes he replied burnt oil. He used it his base sauce as well but wouldn't elaborate on it???

This could be something else that contributes to the BIR taste?...what ever he meant???
Maybe worth investigating...

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2008, 08:00 AM »

Hi Haldi,

So it seems that you've progressed recently Haldi?  Just to clarify please:

Recently, you said you've achieved 100% BIR at home, but only when using their base. 

Now you are saying that you've achieved 100% BIR at home, using your own base, but using their oil?

That's VERY interesting...if my understanding is correct? 

It's a significant shift in your opinion in that it suggests that BIR curry bases CAN be scaled down and that OUR FOCUS needs to be on replicating the BIR oil (though I accept that you think it can't be replicated on a domestic scale). 

You understand right, but the whole thing is a dead end
I accept that this may not be the way forward for everyone, but the oil is the secret
The fryer oil is used to make the curry gravy and curry gravy oil
If you have the curry gravy oil you can make anything you want with info already on this site (all of my recipes will work)
BUT you cant make the fryer oil at home
You will never have the volume of cooking
A few bhajees and chips don't work
You need at least litres of highly seasoned used oil
I don't beleive scaling down works
You need to make a serious oil slick

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2008, 10:59 AM »

Yes, that would be preferable. However, we should be grateful for what we have. (not in any way implying that anyone is not)

I'm planning on doing a "half portion" of this base later today, just wondering if anyone else has tried scaling it down? I did try a search but didn't get very far and having had flu for the last week or so haven't been on here and feel I've lost touch with where everyone is up to on this base and 15 pages is a lot of posts to wade through!
 ;D ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2008, 12:46 PM »
You understand right, but the whole thing is a dead end....the oil is the secret....BUT you cant make the fryer oil at home....you will never have the volume of cooking.....you need at least litres of highly seasoned used oil...I don't believe scaling down works

I respect your opinion Haldi, but I have to disagree with your conclusion that it can't be replicated at home.  Surely if it can be done in BIRs, it can be replicated at home...even if that means replicating the types and volumes of products they fry.

What about frying spices, and/or base sauce, and/or onions, and/or garlic, and/or tomato paste etc, etc, in copious amounts of oil?  It seems that the majority of people, who use reclaimed oil, take it from the curry base as a byproduct.  I'm sure there must be other,  more efficient, ways of producing what is, effectively, a highly spiced and flavoured oil.

If it truly is "the secret" to producing a replica BIR curry, then surely it's worth pursuing with vigour!

Offline two-sheds

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2008, 01:20 PM »
went to buy the ingredients to have a go at base gravy but on seeing creamed coconut had a level of saturates 54g/100g  reluctantly decided not to having been put on statins by GP . will stick with SnS's june 2008 base and incorporate the Ashoka recipes and procedures.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2008, 03:53 PM »

What about frying spices, and/or base sauce, and/or onions, and/or garlic, and/or tomato paste etc, etc, in copious amounts of oil?  It seems that the majority of people, who use reclaimed oil, take it from the curry base as a byproduct.  I'm sure there must be other,  more efficient, ways of producing what is, effectively, a highly spiced and flavoured oil.

If it truly is "the secret" to producing a replica BIR curry, then surely it's worth pursuing with vigour!

Who is going to eat all the stuff you need to fry?
I have worked on several batches of oil over about a month
I'm sick of fried food, and still didn't get what I'm after

©2024 Curry Recipes