Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Curry Base  (Read 112454 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Base Gravy from Ashoka at the Quay
« Reply #180 on: January 07, 2009, 07:16 PM »
Hey SS, this base is REALLY, REALLY tasty!

Well yes, it's difficult to ignore the very positive feedback this base and 'kit' is getting. As I said a while back I fully intend to make this to the letter just based on that level of feedback.

I still don't hold out any great hopes though, there's nothing new in it for me apart from the use of margarine in the base. The bunjara, which is just fancied-up caramelised onions, is something I experimennted with years ago, and liked, but didn't at that time bring me any closer to the BIR standards I'm trying to copy. Everything else I've seen and done before in many combinations.

The fact that they don't do a madras though, sort of makes me think this is anyhting but a run of the mill high street BIR.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 07, 2009, 08:03 PM »
The fact that they don't do a madras though, sort of makes me think this is anything but a run of the mill high street BIR.

You are right Secret Santa, the Ashoka is far from a run of the mill curry house, though the appearance of the menu does little justice to the quality of the food. I can understand why Joshallen thought it looked like a Brewer's Fayre because the menu does have that Wetherspoons character to it. I do worry that they could end becoming the Woolworth's of the curry trade, though.

In the meantime their food is there to be enjoyed and learned from.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Just came across this gem from the Ashoka West End a la carte menu, I must have a go at it - one for us jocks methinks?

Haggis Pakora ?4.50
The Scottish delicacy, deep fried with spices and gram flour

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 08, 2009, 06:28 AM »
I am delighted you are all experimenting and that for most the results are encouraging. I am sure the salt quantities are out and by adding MSG I would find it even more salty. There was no MSG used In The Ashoka and where I have suspected it's use elsehere I have questions the need for it assuming the place was using inferior ingredients and needed it to bring out flavours in the poorer quality dishes. Cheers Panpot.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 08, 2009, 12:35 PM »
Just came across this gem from the Ashoka West End a la carte menu, I must have a go at it - one for us jocks methinks?

Haggis Pakora ?4.50
The Scottish delicacy, deep fried with spices and gram flour

I love Haggis, so if you get the recipe - please post it.

SnS

Offline knighty76

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 08, 2009, 03:17 PM »
Hi Panpot,

Thanks for this great post, and also thanks for the other post with all the Ashoka recipes, I have a busy weekend ahead of me!! I'm really looking forward in particular to trying the Banjara as I wonder if that is what's missing from my earlier attempts.. certainly the Bhunas I really enjoy from my fave local BIR seem to have a certain rich caramelised onionyness that seems to make a difference. Fingers crossed!!

Quick question if I may? I've read through the whole thread and you seem to touch on the idea that the salt levels in the base may have been scaled down incorrectly, and subsequently a little high. Hope I'm not missing the relevant post, but is the original post still incorrect in that regard? How much salt do you now recommend in proportion to the other amounts listed?

Also, should I assume that the Ginger/Garlic paste in this base recipe should be the Ashoka pre-prepared paste, as detailed on the other thread?

Thanks very much for all the effort and sorry to be a pest, will report back if I can hopefully get round to trying this out at the weekend.

Rich.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 03:49 PM by knighty76 »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 08, 2009, 04:00 PM »
Hi Rich,

I think it's a case of too much salt in the Banjara rather than the base, that was my experience anyway.

cK

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 08, 2009, 07:02 PM »

I do worry that they could end becoming the Woolworth's of the curry trade, though.

You mean bankrupt??

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 08, 2009, 08:44 PM »

I do worry that they could end becoming the Woolworth's of the curry trade, though.

You mean bankrupt??
No I don't mean bankrupt, what I mean is becoming too big an organisation, and the quality of the product drops as a result of upscaling and generalist.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2009, 12:32 PM »
The bhuna was brilliant and i did a madras and a korma which were just as good.

Hi Chinois,

I notice you've posted pics of your Ashoka curries on "another site"...any chance of posting them here too please?

©2024 Curry Recipes