Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Curry Base  (Read 112447 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Base Gravy from Ashoka at the Quay
« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2009, 11:11 AM »
Yes I agree food should be seasoned during cooking but the amounts given here are obviously way out so it is easier just to omit the salt and season the finished article to taste, after all you can't take the stuff out once its in.

I tend to agree with that COR; far better to undersalt (and adjust towards the end) than to over salt from the beginning.  I add salt towards the end of cooking a curry (rather than at the beginning) for this reason.  Though I do understand where Chinois is coming from with his comments regarding not leaving the salt out altogether.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:30 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2009, 11:56 AM »
Even if the quantities of salt from the Ashoka turn out to be correct, its still too salty for my palete so I am also going to try 30gms on my next batch (I have already dropped to 1 tsp for the bunjarra) and as I always like to add salt when frying the onions (in the final recipe), the accumalation of salt really sends it over the top. Other than that the base seems to perform well on all the dishes i've tried up until now.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2009, 12:09 PM »
Hi chinois

The rule of thumb guideline amount of salt in soups and sauces is generally reckoned to be about 1 tsp per quart/liter. Therefore it follows the total amount for the Ashoka base should be 6 tsp or about 18 grams tops not the 60 grams given. Yes I agree food should be seasoned during cooking but the amounts given here are obviously way out so it is easier just to omit the salt and season the finished article to taste, after all you can't take the stuff out once its in.
Yes you obviously shouldnt oversalt as you cant take it away afterwards. The wife's tale about adding a potato to 'soak up the excess' just seems like wishful thinking.
I havent heard this rule of thumb before COR. I thought salt wasnt directly proportional to volume. 6TSP seems to be a lot of salt to go into this base is the only thing i was thinking. I think i used about 3tsp myself, not wanting to oversalt it. 

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 10, 2009, 02:26 PM »
At least I think we are all agreeing that the recipe as given is way over salted, 3 teaspoons would be fine for me, I used 2 when I did my last 1/3rd scale lot, seemed OK but I wouldn't want any more than that. The guidelines are from about.com
http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodequivalents/a/saltmeasures.htm
COR

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2009, 09:50 PM »
no probs. I'd say its best to use guidelines from respected chefs rather than random internet sites.
About.com's advice on salt for pasta water for instance is way off the 'golden rule' used by italian chefs (which i heard about through heston blumenthal) of 100g pasta to 1 litre of water to 10g salt.

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 12, 2009, 05:08 PM »
I have been following this thread but I have somehow missed where he mentions which Curry Powder to use.....Is it mentioned here or elsewhere?  Thanks.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 12, 2009, 05:40 PM »
I have been following this thread but I have somehow missed where he mentions which Curry Powder to use.....Is it mentioned here or elsewhere?  Thanks.

I can't find it either, but probably Rajah.

SnS

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 12, 2009, 06:34 PM »
I believe that Panpot's chef is actually an East End fan, although Rajah, Heera and TRS are all of similarly good quality IMHO and all available in huge commercial sized bags at the Indian cash and carry near me.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2009, 07:50 PM »
The Ashoka Chef uses Derghi Mirch from a box you can see in the photograph, he uses this chili powder for it's taste and natural bright red colouring, a little more expensive but worth it.

The issue with the salt is mostly to do with the Bunjarra I feel. Having cooked The Base as given with 60grams of salt it did not seem too salty to me and on it's own it made a great Korma

Offline Madchester

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2009, 06:24 PM »
can somebody give me a link to the Bunjara recipe please.  And can somebody suggest a madras recipe that matches well to this base.

Nice base grave by the way.  I've not made a curry with it yet but last night I mixed some of this base with waitrose hot and spicy mango chutney, fresh chopped red and green chilli and fresh corriander, popadums on the side and it was good even just like that.

I need links now to bunjara recipe and the g/g paste recipe so I can crack on and make a Madras, or Jalfrezi (any recipe suggestions)

©2024 Curry Recipes