Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 3765 times)

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Hello everyone
« on: November 29, 2008, 10:07 AM »
After lurking round here for a few weeks I finally joined last week so thought I'd say hi to everyone. What a fantastic site, so much information its hard to know where to begin but I think I'll go with the BE base and his suggested simple curry recipe from that, hopefully even a kookin klutz like me wont go too far wrong with that.
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 04:51 PM »
After lurking round here for a few weeks I finally joined last week so thought I'd say hi to everyone. What a fantastic site, so much information its hard to know where to begin but I think I'll go with the BE base and his suggested simple curry recipe from that, hopefully even a kookin klutz like me wont go too far wrong with that.
 ;D ;D ;D

Welcome to the site, let us know how you get on  8)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 10:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum, let us know how it turns out

Offline Cibox

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 01:02 AM »
Welcome to the forum

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 03:36 PM »
like the name - spot on.

on the BE base & curry for a 1st go - spot on again.

don't be too cautious in making any adjustments to the final curry though to suit your own taste. as an example i made the BE madras to spec and did not like it. i then inceased the spice mix (from 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp) and found it transformed the dish. don't forget the recipe is based on using ~300ml of the base. u may also want to try increasing the amount of tom puree from 1 tsp to say 1 tbsp to see how that changes the dish.

best wishes

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 05:26 PM »
Just to let you know it turned out really well. This is definitely the best base I've ever done (OK its the only base I've done) but even on its own it tasted dead good and the lamb curry from it was easily as good as some I've paid good money for, although obviously not as good as the best so there's plenty still to learn.
Thanks for the advice JerryM will try all those suggestions next time. I followed BE's instructions pretty much to the letter and ended up with about 3.25 litres of base which is only about an inch from the top of my 4 litre stock pot so blending was an interesting experience! Have I got this right and can the base be scaled down as unlike BE we don't have any chickens and there ain't much room in the freezer, either.
Cheers.
 :) :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 07:17 AM »
scaling down is a touchy subject. some believe u can't scale down from the batch sizes the BIR's use ie 60L at the Ashoka. i think it's down to precision of the ingredients when u scale down as it can be very fiddly. i regularly make an 800g onion batch which turns out a 1650ml finished volume (i've even made half this size as well but it runs out too quick nowadays). ps i've not really tried freezing base preferring to keep it in the fridge - i feel the freezing affects the taste.

i guess as long as u know it might need a few attempts to get a small scale base right - then why not. i have about a 4.3L pan and tend to blend in batches in a different tall plastic jug container - helps cut down on splashing.

well please your on the way with the 1st go at cooking - well done.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 06:00 AM »
One of the best investments I've made is a huge pot. Don't know how many liters, but I've not come remotely close to filling it even with some of the most demanding bases (Ashoka was the largest volume thus far). I use it for pasta and curry base primarily.

-- Josh

Offline curry king 5494

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 06:20 PM »
Hi all, im sanjeep and i love curry, ive joined to get some new recepies to further my knowlage of curry, and hopefully share my knowledge of curry to eager learners who are interested. :)
Thanks
Sanjeep
xx

Offline crazy curry

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 11:06 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Mohammed Abassi, i am here for one reason. I love curry! I want to learn about curry, and share recipies with those who are interested.
Thanks, Mohammed.

©2024 Curry Recipes