Author Topic: What blender?  (Read 9083 times)

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
What blender?
« on: June 03, 2005, 01:27 PM »
What blending equipment do people here use? At the moment I use a Magimix system 31000. Its very good, but requires you to blend in 3 batches when making Dhillon, as the container isnt that big.

I've thought about getting a decent hand blender. Does anyone here use one of these for making their base?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: What blender?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 01:46 PM »
What blending equipment do people here use?

I have a hand held blender as well as a liquidiser attachment for my Kenwood Chef food mixer. Nothing will match a liquidiser. The hand held blender doesn't even come close. You can pick up a Chef and liquidiser on eBay for relatively little dosh. A very good investment.

For a picture of the sort of liquidiser I'm talking about, please see an example at:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20679&item=4386039148&rd=1

You can get good, standalone liquidisers too.

Regards
George

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 01:50 PM »
What blending equipment do people here use?

I have a hand held blender as well as a liquidiser attachment for my Kenwood Chef food mixer. Nothing will match a liquidiser. The hand held blender doesn't even come close. You can pick up a Chef and liquidiser on eBay for relatively little dosh. A very good investment.

For a picture of the sort of liquidiser I'm talking about, please see an example at:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20679&item=4386039148&rd=1

You can get good, standalone liquidisers too.

Regards
George

Guess I'll stick with my Magimix then!

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 01:51 PM »
I`ve been using a small ?5 hand blender from curry`s ( no pun intended) i just blend it in the pot, non of this moving it around malarkey & it has been a good servant in my quest for the SMOOOOOTH ?8) ?8) puree. ;)

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 02:03 PM »
That sounds good for the money, Darth - what make is it?  I hate the decanting of sauce into my blender and all that messing about.  But I tried a friend's posh Anthony Warrell-Thompson hand blender and the poor little thing nearly burnt out well before the sauce was pureed.

Thomashenry, I have a cheap & cheerful jug blender bought for me as a present.  I can't remember the make but it's not well known.  But it has 8 speeds, a 'pulse' function and holds a litre and a half at a time, so I can do a  KD recipe in two batches.

(Edited for spelling! ::))
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 02:54 PM by Ian S. »

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 02:08 PM »
That sounds good for the money, Darth - what make is it?? I hate the decanting of sauce into my blender and all that messing about.? But I tried a friend's posh Anthony Warrel-Thompson hand blender and the poor little thing nearly burnt out well before the sauce was pureed.

Thomashenry, I have a cheap & cheerfull jug blender bought for me as a present.? I can't remember the make but it's not well known.? But it has 8 speeds, a 'pulse' function and holds a litre and a half at a time, so I can do a? KD recipe in two batches.

I *can* do A Dhillon batch in 2 goes, but tend to do wit in 3 as I worry about spilling! I can't fault my Magimix, its the rolls-royce of Blenders, built like an absolute tank. I just get annoyed with the decanting in/out stage.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 02:16 PM »
Ive got a hand blender, a liquidiser and a food processor. The hand blender is about 15 years old and its fine, I tend to use that

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 02:34 PM »
Ian its a Frigidair & cost ?4.99 about 2 years ago if it goes bang after a year throw it & get another !!
I like to blend my base in the pot in one go, why spend loads, i know because the more expensive ones( add the taste !! ) ;D .
I want a hand blender that......blends job done. ;)

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 02:54 PM »
I just use a hand blender. Nice and easy. Hardly any washing up. Blends perfectly. Don't have to cool the mixture prehand.

I understand hand blenders come with different power ratings. Most chefs advise getting the most powerful one you can afford.

I've had mine about five years. No problems so far (cost about?15)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 03:00 PM »
I use a liquadiser, its a pain pouring the gravy in and out but it only takes 10mins and I do it soon after cooking it while its still warm.  I would imagine it takes longer to blend a whole batch of gravy with a hand blender?

©2024 Curry Recipes