Author Topic: Ashoka Recipes  (Read 106198 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ashoka Recipes
« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2009, 08:15 AM »
Cheers Guys.

How much did you use out of interest, a tsp added the same time as the garam masala?

Del

i used 1 tsp of the tandoori masala but added it after the base - i effectively replaced the tandoori paste with the tandoori powder but reduced the amount (from 1 tbsp for the paste to 1 tsp for powder).

I'm going to try it with and without next time just for interest.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2009, 07:50 AM »
I've been away for a few days and back delighted we are experimenting with the Ashoka Kit. Imagine having these breakthroughs but no one to share them with and develop together, thank god this site exists.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 31, 2009, 01:51 PM »

i used 1 tsp of the tandoori masala but added it after the base - i effectively replaced the tandoori paste with the tandoori powder but reduced the amount (from 1 tbsp for the paste to 1 tsp for powder).

I'm going to try it with and without next time just for interest.

i've now tried the with and without and it's clear the Ashoka recipe for the Bhuna is best but for me with the Karahi version onion and green pepper added. the tandoori powder adds a twist of something different but not for everyday use.

made 4 portions of the bhuna with onion/green pepper last night, 1 portion of CK's CTM and NO madras - what's the world coming to.

Offline dellydel

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2009, 03:03 PM »
Jerry M,

I have since tried the tandoori masala and it definitely gave a better tasting curry than adding the Pataks paste, for me at least anyway.  Cheers for the tip, although I do agree it is something I would add occasionally if I wanted a change.

I have also cooked the Bhuna without the Bunjara (as I has ran out) and you can certainly tell there is a key ingredient missing.  Due to the low spicing of the Ashoka recipes they strongly rely on the Bunjara to give them there taste, without it the Bhuna was simply average!

Cheers

Del

Offline wardy11

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2009, 06:58 PM »
Think i may have missed it but could anyone please tell me how much onion pepper mix goes into the bhuna karahi  cheers Marc

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2009, 06:45 PM »
Think i may have missed it but could anyone please tell me how much onion pepper mix goes into the bhuna karahi  cheers Marc

i'm pretty sure it's not in the spec. i guess because it's really down to personal preference. i don't find peppers freeze well and as i like the taste i tend to use a full green pepper and the same vol of onion. i chop both medium i guess ~5mm. i prefer to pre fry them in rec oil. the vol does about 4 off 200ml portions. i think it would probably easily do 8 off portions if u felt inclined (ie keep 1/2 for another night).

Offline wardy11

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2009, 09:20 PM »
cheers for that. I used half a green , half a red and half an onion chopped finely and used it for two portions. Got to say it was my best curry yet .  ;) Next day tastes even nicer.

Offline mak

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2009, 11:08 PM »
How long does the recycled oil generally last and what's the best way of storing it?

Cheers

Ian

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 12, 2009, 08:13 PM »
How long does the recycled oil generally last and what's the best way of storing it?

Cheers

Ian

i keep mine in the fridge in a sealed plastic container. i've kept it for upto 2wks no problem (i tend to make a base every 2 wks as i don't freeze base).

Offline mak

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2009, 09:01 PM »
I have made a Korma and a Bhuna during the last 2 days using this base and I am well pleased with the results :) Thanks so much for your hard work PP  ;D
Can't wait to knock another batch up !

Ian

©2024 Curry Recipes