Author Topic: Ashoka Recipes  (Read 106184 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Ashoka Recipes
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 07:11 AM »
Thanks lot  8)

With the garlic and ginger mix, once you have fried it and put it in a jar in the fridge, is that just ready to be used with any curry.

What does the frying do to it, is this how the bought g&g mix's are made?

cover the top of the jar with a little oil before putting in the fridge - helps preserve it better.

the pre frying is the key for me. i feel the garlic to be a sort of light material requiring very little cooking. the ginger is the opposite. by doing the pre frying is seems to balance this difference out - i guess during the cooling. when the paste is then re heated at the dish frying stage it's a much rounder taste. i'm now converted to the stuff having used fine chopped garlic for a long time.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 11:39 AM »
I am going to give the whole lot a good go this weekend, great to read how other people are getting on with it.  I will report back hopefully Sunday.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 12:32 PM »
that banjara is definatly what good bir's use in rogan josh and bhoona to get that amazing flavor, and produce meat chunks with a sauce so thick, it hangs onto each chunk of chicken. i find those bhoonas totally blow me away. For me, they have always been one of the wonders of bir cooking. If you have ever order a bhoona which is swimming in oil, a dark reddy brown color, with loads of tiny deep fried onions swimming about, and tastes the dogs bollocks, you know what i am on about!  :P :P ;D   

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 02:13 PM »
Skaze,I certainly agree with JerryM in that it produces amore balanced taste though does definitely contribute to the final smell and texture. At The Ashoka keeping it covered in oil would allow it to remain usable up to 15 days. I am moving house soon so I have had to freeze mine just like the original "secret onion paste" though this is in a different league but will need to see in due course if the freezer effects the results. I would be surprised if the packaged stuff is precooked and given the need for things being simplified in BIRs the fact that they take the time to prepare and precook this means it must be critical.

Curry King, I am looking forward to your considered opinion. If you stick to the letter in your efforts I suspect you and some of the other stalwarts on the site will be able to figure out all manner of ways we can use the basic sauces from the Ashoka to build an extensive menu. They are The Base, Bunjara, Garlic/Ginger and Green Chili Paste. Over and above this are the Patia sauce and Garlic and Spiced Sauces I have still to get. I wondered what you thought of the Diggi Mirch, it seems expensive and though probably not used in too many TAs it is something the chef here was commited to as he doesnt like to use colouring agents just natural tints coming from the spices.

Derek Dansak, I cant quite believe the difference the Bunjara has made to the texture taste and smell of the final result of cooking the Bhuna and so much more to gain especiallay if the more experienced guys here can apply the basics of The Ashoka visit to a wider menu.

Thanks UncleBuck for loading up the photos and sorry about the quality taken on my iPhone not famous for its photographic prowess though everything else about them is fantastic. Cheers Panpot

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 04:26 PM »
Glad to hear that Panpot. At last cr0 has bunjara ! it certainly did a good job of hiding all these years. A big thanks to Panpot, and also the bir chef at the Ashoka for sharing all this knowledge. Respect  ;)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 04:44 PM »
Thanks UncleBuck for loading up the photos and sorry about the quality taken on my iPhone not famous for its photographic prowess though everything else about them is fantastic. Cheers Panpot

Dont thank me i thank you  8)

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 05:00 PM »
I must say I'm also surprised that restaurant style 'curry powder' (as in spice mix made up by the BIR chef) is not much in evidence, it's almost going back to the KD ingredients of cumin and garam masala, funnily enough her bhuna tasted exactly like a jalafrezi I once had in Knowle near Solihull.  It had a lovely flavour that I can only describe as 'spicy sausage'.  That said the rest of her stuff wasn't too great in my opinion (I mean, I can't detect yoghurt in Rogan Josh, it might be in the trad version, but not in BIR)

I think this a goldmine Panpot, and I can't WAIT for your chicken madras!

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 10:52 PM »
Panpot

In your 'Chicken Masala', what's the 'tandoori paste'?  Is it pataks tikka paste or your tandoori marianade?

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 10:57 PM »
Panpot

What garam masala do Ashoka use, pre bought or chef made; if the latter do you know the chef's recipie?

Sorry for the persistant questioning!

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 11:02 PM »
Derrrrr

Disregard my last....

I've just read your notes again, properley this time!

©2024 Curry Recipes