Author Topic: Ashoka Recipes  (Read 106201 times)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Ashoka Recipes
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2009, 04:50 PM »
Guys, as explained elsewhere The Ashoka is a Pukka BIR and our chef an award winner so no worries there.

It does tend to be a little more expensive and their Glasgow West End one is qued out at the weekend. Madras is relatively rare in Glasgow usually just called Curry. I expect to get more recipes when I get back and I would be amazed if the Chef cant give us a good recipe for one.

Rallim since you have been at the Johnstone site you may wish to pay a wee visit to the TA at Kilmacolm where the set up is mostly open plan and the chefs will blether with you if they are not too busy, the food is good and reasonably priced.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2009, 05:24 AM »
OK that explains for me.

Living in North America I'm weary of the "chain syndrome" where everything is somehow a variant of the real thing.

Interesting Panpot that Madras isn't as popular. My first thought was that the local taste was then more for sweet stuff (like the Scottish fave Chasni), but then the CTM recipe is very very different to the English usual CTM which is very sweet, tangy, and coconutty.

Really looking forward to you getting back in there... BTW, noticed on the a la carte menu that "if you don't see it ask, and we'll make it"...

-- Josh

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2009, 11:54 AM »
I finally managed to have a go with the Ashoka recipes and was very impressed.  I made my standard Vindaloo and followed PP's instructions closely, the result was a very nice curry and in the same league as I could already produce, I wasn't sure about the bunjara as after adding this it made the curry a bit to salty although I don't mind it like that.

What happened next was by chance as I had some people coming round I thought to save time I wouldn't mess about with the bunjara I would just add some to the base and make the curry's as normal.  I tend to heat my base up while I prepare everything so it had a good half hour to simmer away.  The vindaloo was one of the best I have ever made, it had that more-ish savory flavor and every thing about it was perfect.  It lacked that really strong BIR smell but I am sure this is down to home cooking and quantity's although the next day it smelt as good as a left over takeaway.  I am going to have a go at reproducing it asap and just hope it wasn't a one off!

Cheers PP and if I can reproduce this vindaloo I may have to switch to the Ashoka base as my main base from now on.

Offline rallim

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2009, 12:19 PM »

Rallim since you have been at the Johnstone site you may wish to pay a wee visit to the TA at Kilmacolm where the set up is mostly open plan and the chefs will blether with you if they are not too busy, the food is good and reasonably priced.

Hi Panpot I wish I could, but now that I'm living down under would be a wee bit difficult. Hoping to get back over within the next year or so...

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2009, 02:16 PM »
CK - so you put the bunjara IN the base while you preheated it?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2009, 08:20 PM »
CK - so you put the bunjara IN the base while you preheated it?

Hi Josh,

Yes thats what I did to save some time and space as I had a few dishes to make.  I did enjoy the curry which I made to PP's instructions but the ones where the bunjara was in the base first where a lot better, better than my usual.  I stired it from time to time while it was heating then just left it, most of it was glooped up on the bottom when I had finished but it added that something to the base.  If I hadn't tried it in the base I don't know if I would have made it again but now I will.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2009, 01:34 PM »
Just tried the Ashoka Tikka marinade last night and I was very pleased with the end result.Did tweak the recipe by reducing the G&G to 1 tbsp and I also added 2 tsp mint sauce concentrate. I left it to marinate for 24 hours. The end result was moist and tasty.The cooking method is spot on (for my crap oven anyway) The only thing I would do different next time is definitely leave out the salt!!!

Boy ...the Chef at the Ashoka certainly likes his salt!!! :o

Offline dellydel

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2009, 03:38 PM »
Hi guys,

May finally get round to giving the Ashoka kit a go this Friday.  However I was wondering what people have been using for the onion paste... red or Spanish onions? as the recipe states either.  I am very tempted to go with red onion.

Cheers

Del

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2009, 06:06 PM »
My first attempt at the banjara was with ordinary onions which were a bit watery and obviously past their best, they went from quite well done, almost caramelised, to burnt to a crisp in the blink of an eye and stunk the house out for days. Tried again with good red onions, no problems twice now, so I would say use good onoins (red or white but red tend to be less watery generally) and take your time, if you try to rush it you will most likely end up with a burnt bitter mess. It also helps to use a good heavy skillet with even heat distribution and once again remember, nice 'n slow, way to go. hth.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2009, 03:31 AM »
Yep red onions for me. And the cooking time is key. Stir and don't rush. It takes a long time for them to get truly and properly caramelised and not burnt. For me over an hour.

©2024 Curry Recipes