Author Topic: Pork Vindaloo by BBC's Anjum Anand  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Spottymaldoon

• Chef
    • View Profile
Pork Vindaloo by BBC's Anjum Anand
« on: December 21, 2008, 04:42 PM »
Has anybody had a go at this one? Or maybe somebody could predict how it will turn out?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/porkvindaloo_89999.shtml

The use of mustard seed is interesting - any comments on that?

My impression is that TV curries have advanced a lot in the past few years (and I don't mean the frozen ones, though I supppose they have too!).

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Pork Vindaloo by BBC's Anjum Anand
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 05:42 PM »
Fancied a 'trad' Indian the other day: did her version of Rogan Josh, I was just as dissapointed with the result as I was when I did Camellia Punjabi's (from 50 best Curries Of India) version of Rogan Josh too!

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I saw it demonstrated on the TV during her present series, and I was careful to follow the techniques she advised.  I felt the spice balance was wrong, way to much cardomom flavour.  Although I was impreseed by the smell of the fennel seed based masala.  I think I may give BIR-style recipies containing kashmiri masala a go as a result...

I must say her recipe for Vindalo looks attractive, but after my Rogan Josh experience I'm not sure I'll bother.....

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Pork Vindaloo by BBC's Anjum Anand
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 10:39 AM »
Haven't tried that one but I did have a go at a pork vindaloo from a trad curry book (can't remember which one) a few years ago which from memory looked similar to Ms Anands', suffice to say I've not repeated the experience, maybe it's not just for cultural/religious reasons that BIRs don't do pork, the taste was strange to say the least. If you want a go at a trad style vindaloo I think it would be a wise move to stick with lamb or chicken.
Hope this helps.

©2024 Curry Recipes