Author Topic: Belated Introductory Post  (Read 3839 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Belated Introductory Post
« on: December 24, 2008, 07:19 PM »
Hi there folks

I joined in August but never got round to posting here so this.

Have posted a few pictures and recipes so far and have enjoyed the site.

Am currently translating a Bruce Edwards paper that was published in the Curry Club magazine about 20 years ago and I will post it here when I am finished. It seems slightly different from the other stuff posted here so far so I would appreciate any comments when I post it.

Also I am trying to write a wee paper called 'characteristics of restaurant curries' as I've noticed that a lot of takeaway menus describe dishes in identical terms, which suggests that maybe there is some sort of standardised menu that proprietors can buy in. Sometimes I wonder if these takeaways are buying in base mixes and pre-packed spice mixes to make up their curries as the taste from different curry houses can be so similar.

Lastly I would like to ask if anyone has come across a curry called 'Chasni' as this seems to be taking off in Scotland and outselling the Tikka Masala in some parts. I would describe it as a cross between the Pathia and Tikka Masala as it has a sweet/sour taste with cream added. So if anyone knows this curry or has a recipe please post it here. I might even have a go myself.

Now I have a question for you, can you tell me what the different categories of chef are and how you move through the categories?

Anyway wishing all curry fiends a Happy Christmas and all the best for 2009.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 08:18 PM by Stephen Lindsay »

Offline Roti

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Belated Introductory Post
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 10:34 AM »
Now I have a question for you, can you tell me what the different categories of chef are and how you move through the categories?

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2183.0

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 11:13 AM »
Hi Stephen Lindsay glad your enjoying the forum.

Sometimes I wonder if these takeaways are buying in base mixes and pre-packed spice mixes to make up their curries as the taste from different curry houses can be so similar

is possible but any decent wouldn't use these I'm sure anyhow there is a market for them last time i was up cash-n-carry i noticed these

http://www.booker.co.uk/catalog/productinformation.aspx?code=652800&categoryName=305059&CSUrl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.booker.co.uk%2fcatalog%2fsearchcategory.aspx%3fcategoryName%3dDefault%2520Catalog%26keywords%3dcurry%26view%3dGroupedByShelf%26sortField%3dPromotion%26SortDirection%3dAscending%26pageIndex%3d1

theres a whole isle display full of pastes, powders, ready made madras sauce's etc i would imagine these are for the pub trade

http://www.booker.co.uk/catalog/searchcategory.aspx?categoryName=Default%20Catalog&keywords=curry&view=GroupedByShelf&sortField=Promotion&SortDirection=Ascending&pageIndex=1

Never bought any tho.
BTW merry xmas.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 11:30 AM by Unclebuck »

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 05:15 PM »
I've noticed that a lot of takeaway menus describe dishes in identical terms

Personally I believe the reason for this is simple cut and paste. That they copy the descriptions given by others for their menu when they create theirs. Not across the board, but I believe this to be the case for the majority.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 07:34 PM »
Lastly I would like to ask if anyone has come across a curry called 'Chasni' as this seems to be taking off in Scotland and outselling the Tikka Masala in some parts. I would describe it as a cross between the Pathia and Tikka Masala as it has a sweet/sour taste with cream added. So if anyone knows this curry or has a recipe please post it here. I might even have a go myself.

I read about the Chasni being popular in Scotland, so I googled a recipe and tried it. I found a recipe that supposedly came direct from the inventor. Cross between CTM and Patia is a good comparison. It had a lot of tomato ketchup if I recall.

Personally I did not like it. Too sweet, too sour.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 10:48 AM »
Hi Stephen Lindsay, I am glad your enjoying the site. I am expecting the recipe from The Ashoka Chef, he uses a special base sauce for it and Patia. In the meantime if you are desperate there is a recipe in The Ashokas little book of try it at home recipes. (though not truly BIR standard the book is useful and pretty cool to look at.) I will look it out and post a copy of the recipe. Cheers Panpot

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 01:48 PM »
Josh you may be right about the cut and paste idea, so simple and yet it makes perfect sense, maybe it is as simple as that.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 01:49 PM »
Cheers for that Unclebuck and and happy 2009 to you when it comes.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 01:51 PM »
Panpot, I have seen the little Ashoka book in Borders bookshop so I might go in and write down the recipe lol!!!!

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 04:29 PM »
this topic suggests maybe there are suppliers of pre made curry sauces?

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3217.0

©2024 Curry Recipes