Author Topic: Pilau rice, oh & the dreaded microwave!  (Read 4632 times)

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Pilau rice, oh & the dreaded microwave!
« on: January 05, 2009, 04:31 PM »
Just wondered if anyone has tried COOKING pilau in a microwave, as opposed to reheating?

I feeling particularly lazy today and am considering frying some typical pilau spices (cinamon stick, cloves bay etc)in a tbs or 2 of oil/gee, mixing it with washed uncooked basmati rice followed by the requesite quantity of water, then cooking in the microwave, as per manufatureres instructions.

I've cooked plain rice this way before with reasonable (not fantastic) results.

Any thoughts? Apart from 'don't be so lazy'!

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Pilau rice, oh & the dreaded microwave!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 11:57 PM »
Just wondered if anyone has tried COOKING pilau in a microwave, as opposed to reheating?

I feeling particularly lazy today and am considering frying some typical pilau spices (cinamon stick, cloves bay etc)in a tbs or 2 of oil/gee, mixing it with washed uncooked basmati rice followed by the requesite quantity of water, then cooking in the microwave, as per manufatureres instructions.

I've cooked plain rice this way before with reasonable (not fantastic) results.

Any thoughts? Apart from 'don't be so lazy'!

i have to say never tryed it myself, i tend to just cover it and oven cook it simple.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 05:19 AM »
Yup. Agree with UB. Quick stir on the hob and in the oven. Make the curry and both are done.

-- Josh

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 06:57 PM »
I usually cook my rice on the hob and stop the cooking process with cold water. I drain it off and put it in a casserole (any round bowl would do I guess) till ready to use and reheat in the micro. I have used this method for years with perfect results every time.

Not sure about the cooking of rice in the micro. I would guess that you won't save much cooking time as it's a bit like cooking pasta in the micro. There's no water molecules in the rice and pasta for the micro to heat, it has to be added therefore the micro is simply boiling the water. That's the way I understand it.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 08:12 PM »
hi i always use the microwave to cook my rice, if you use already boiling water then put the bowl covered! and nuke for 5 mins then drain any excess water put the lid back on and place in a warm oven 75-100C for 1hr or longer to dry give it a shake a couple of times oppposed to stirring and you will have beautiful bir style rice( do not let the rice sit in the excess water or it will become sticky and no one likes that!)
regards
gary

Offline two-sheds

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 01:50 PM »
when you microwave your rice do you add spices and colouring?

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 04:44 PM »
Thanks Parker21, I'll give it a go!

©2024 Curry Recipes