Author Topic: Kris Dhillons - The New Curry Secret  (Read 25523 times)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Kris Dhillons - The New Curry Secret
« on: January 07, 2009, 01:54 PM »
I have no idea if her new book is any different to previous versions - but it is now available for pre-order at 5.99 from Amazon here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Curry-Secret-Kris-Dhillon/dp/0716022044/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231336154&sr=1-37

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kris Dhillons - The New Curry Secret
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 07:47 PM »
Pasted from Amazon website:

Product Description
Since the first publication of the popular "Curry Secret", there has been an increase in the variety of new and vibrant Indian dishes served in restaurants. Kris Dhillon reveals the secrets of how to create these exquisite new dishes, easily, simply and expertly. She includes all the closely held tricks of the trade employed by Indian chefs, plus some labour-saving ideas and tips to make it even easier when cooking your favourite Indian restaurant food at home. Learn what turns a good cook into a great cook. By using a few simple techniques, transform good dishes into mouthwatering delights that are a feast for the senses.

About the Author
Kris Dhillon was born in the Punjab, the region known as 'the food basket' of India.At the age of five, she emigrated with her family to the UK. During visits to her grandmother and aunts in India, she developed a love of fresh Indian food and learnt how to create all the traditional Indian dishes. Kris's passion for good food later inspired her to open her own Indian restaurant. Realizing that people wanted to make Indian restaurant-style dishes at home, Kris wrote The Curry Secret and revealed for the first time the secrets that Indian chefshad kept to themselves since the first Indian restaurant opened.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:21 PM »
At least it's not like PC and just another rehash with a different cover.  For that price it's hard not to justify a purchase but I don't think it will give us anything new.  My feeling is that PC, KD and in some ways trusty Bruce try to give us their best interpretations of a BIR curry, nothing wrong with that but won't ever be as good as a first hand account.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 10:53 PM »
I imagine that if any of these sources were gonna give us the real deal we'd have known about it by now. That's not to say they have their place but I agree they are interpretations. Having said that, rather than be overly critical, they are pretty damn good interpretations.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:06 PM »
I think the books mentioned fall seriously short of the mark, and are not written by chefs/authors who truly love british indian restaurant food. If they had the passion for BIR food that we have, the books would be much better, via more research into the bir tastes/flavors/techniques. In my opinion these books are primarily money making exercises, and are basically a waste of time. I have found much better recipies in traditional indian cook books than those in the 'curry secret book'. which also taste much closer to bir food. (although they dont try to be bir style dishes). Sadly, it is only a matter of time, before someone uses the material on this site, to make a cool million pounds or more, by writing a proper bir cookery book. Maybe we should beat them to it, and begin publishing!  ;) 

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 05:12 PM »
The new KD book is aimed at a new range of "vibrant BIR recipies". This does not address the fact that the last KD book, did not manage to reproduce the basic range of BIR recipies. dont waste your money on this book, it will only disappoint.   

Offline Jeera

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 05:30 PM »
The new KD book is aimed at a new range of "vibrant BIR recipies". This does not address the fact that the last KD book, did not manage to reproduce the basic range of BIR recipies. dont waste your money on this book, it will only disappoint.   

I  disagree - I've had tremendous results from KD recipes. The final dishes are a little limited but the base is excellent.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 10:35 AM »
I agree with Jeera on that one, the dishes are not quite right, for the most part but the base is very good.  In fact the base I make now is inpired by both hers and Bruce Edwards'.

In my opinion, her best recipie is the Bhuna, which tastes nothing like a bhuna I've ever had, but is was an almost perfect reproduction of a jalfrazi I used to eat in a BIR in Knowle near Solihull, West Mids, when I worked up there for a while.  It had the right 'spicy sausage' smell.  I found the secret was deffinately to use her version of garam masala.

Interestingly, there are more similarities between her stuff and the Ashoka stuff, that everyone's raving about (thanks Panpot), than may appear at first sight!  Both do not seem to use a spice mix, but contain mainly turmeric and cumin.  The also both contain 'garam' type spices; in the KD case, in the garam masala; and in the Ashoka case, in the bunjara (cinamon, bay etc).  I have not tried Ashoka yet, but I suspect the advantages of the Asoka method lie not so much in the base, but in the bunjarra.  Apart from that I don't think there is a huge difference between the ingredients of the two.  KD base is simple, no carrot or pepper, this is also similar to Ashoka if I remember correctly.  Cumin goes into the Ashoka base, but into the final dishes in KD, apart from these slight differences of at what stage ingredients are added, the constituants are broadly the same......

I keep meaning to revisit KD Bhuna, but every time 'her-in-doors' and I feel like a curry, we tend to go for my -tried & tested- version of madras, which I'm reasonably happy with, just being lazy I guess!

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 10:40 AM »
I couldn't resist the temptation and preordered this.  ;D

On the books website http://www.thecurrysecret.co.uk/New%20Curry%20Secret/index.html it says "Includes a new recipe for the legendary Curry Sauce which smells irresistible even in the making!"

Intriguing!

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 04:11 PM »
I couldn't resist the temptation and preordered this.  ;D

On the books website http://www.thecurrysecret.co.uk/New%20Curry%20Secret/index.html it says "Includes a new recipe for the legendary Curry Sauce which smells irresistible even in the making!"
Intriguing!

The original book can be downloaded here

from this thread...click

©2024 Curry Recipes