Author Topic: Finally give it a go  (Read 3558 times)

Offline stormswift

• Chef
    • View Profile
Finally give it a go
« on: January 09, 2009, 10:01 PM »
I have finally managed to put together most of what I need after reading many many of these threads. I have found a nice Indian supermarket a couple of miles away so all the ingredients are now easily at hand, and a damned sight cheaper than the likes of Asda etc  ;D. This week managed to put it all together and give it a try. Not one for "hot" curries and with having to work out what the kids like this week  ::) i decided to try out a CTM.

I made Bruce's base http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2815.0
Used Blades tikka recipe http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=874.0
A little mint sauce for any extra chicken that there might be courtesy of Cory http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1224.0
Finally CK's Masala http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=539.0

All in all it went very well, although time consuming as I've only really done a roast or chips and something before  :o I really enjoyed getting stuck in to preparing and making everything. Everyone thought that the time was well spent as all loved the result.

The only real problem I found was CK's 3 ladles of base. From what I see from the recipe the base makes up the bulk of the sauce. The Ladle I have is only small, about 3 Tbl, so 3 of these I thought small. With that in mind I froze the base in batches of 8 of these about 24 Tbl. The finished result using all the base was, I thought, of an adequate size for 3 (had to stretch it out to 4). I shall be making it again this Wednesday for 6, so Ill just do the same again twice.

I am looking at increasing the base by a third to make 4 meals. So a question if I may. Will increasing the base this much be detrimental to the overall taste of the dish?

But all in all I have to say many thanks to all here its a real eye opener to what you can produce.

Offline currymonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Finally give it a go
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 11:11 PM »
Hi Stormswift,

If you were to increase the amount of base in the dish then you would need to increase the others ingredients of the dish proportionately in order to acheive the same flavour.

I remember it took me a while to find out the size of a ladle and came to the conclusion its about 150ml.

Later on in CKs CTM thread he said:
For the sauce I always add enough until it look s right which isn't very helpful but I would say 6 tablespoons of sauce to a ladle so 18Tbls approx.

If I wanted to make more than the recipe said the I would double-up, theres always lunch tomorrow  ;D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 09:44 AM »
the difference between ladles, chef's spoons etc. can be a bit confusing, but around 4 tblsp = 1 chef's spoon and I would use about 3 of them (i.e. 12 tblsp) of base in a single portion curry.

Offline stormswift

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 11:00 AM »
Many thanks monster 150ml equates to about 8.5 tbsp so as the recipe calls for 3 ladles my 24 tbsp batches are just about right phew.

Stephen if you'd use 12 a portion is that therefore 36 needed for Ck's recipe? Sounds a little on the high side for 3 people. As i said I found that the 24 I used looked ample for 3 people? I suppose individual taste also has a lot to do with it a some will prefer more sauce than others.

I'm trying again as I said midweek, I'll be sticking to the same proportions for now. As there will be 6 to tea doubling everything should I hope give me a better gauge as it will be 2 lots of 3.

As a separate thought, any ideas as keeping a couple of portions. How long say in a fridge or better still can it be frozen? I could then make double batches all the time and then say freeze 2 portions. Eat the other 4 portions when cooked then every 2 I'd make would give me a 4 portions in the freezer. If its possible how would I go about reheating just in a microwave perhaps?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 11:20 AM »
Welcome to cr0 StormSwift  8)

This might be of help to you (click on link)?

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3263.msg29413#msg29413

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 11:29 AM »
Many thanks monster 150ml equates to about 8.5 tbsp so as the recipe calls for 3 ladles my 24 tbsp batches are just about right phew

A tablespoon is 15ml StormSwift, so 150ml equates to 10 tablespoons.

Forget ladles, it's all to ambiguous and confusing! :-\

As a separate thought, any ideas as keeping a couple of portions. How long say in a fridge or better still can it be frozen?

It would be OK for a few days....but freezing works fine (and is probably safer if you don't intend to eat it within a couple of days)

If its possible how would I go about reheating just in a microwave perhaps?

I tend to defrost frozen curries in a microwave and then reheat (fry) them in a pan (re-adjusting the consistency as I go...by adding water or milk)

Offline stormswift

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 02:14 PM »
A tablespoon is 15ml StormSwift, so 150ml equates to 10 tablespoons.

Forget ladles, it's all to ambiguous and confusing! :-\

If that's the case then with CK's recipe I can afford to add a little more base without having to tinker with the other ingredients.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 04:38 PM »
I suppose individual taste also has a lot to do with it a some will prefer more sauce than others.

Stormswift - your base sauce should be added 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time and reduced as you go along so 3 chef's spoons (i.e. 12 tablespoons) for one curry is not actually a lot as the reduction will mean you are not left with the same volume of finished sauce.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 06:08 PM »
Welcome to cr0 stormswift  8)

Glad the CTM turned out alright, I always tend to cook my currys by sight which doesn't really translate well when you come to write them down.

Offline stormswift

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 12:57 PM »
Stormswift - your base sauce should be added 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time and reduced as you go along so 3 chef's spoons (i.e. 12 tablespoons) for one curry is not actually a lot as the reduction will mean you are not left with the same volume of finished sauce.

Will it reduce much? Apart from stiring till the block has dispearsed cooking times are a couple mins for most stages. Should I be cooking it longer at the end.

©2024 Curry Recipes