Author Topic: Chinois' Chicken Madras using Ashoka Base  (Read 16080 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chinois' Chicken Madras using Ashoka Base
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 06:54 PM »
That looks great! ;D

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 07:27 PM »

I cooked it raw from the marinade. I had always precooked it previously but this way seems to make sense, save time and also doesnt seem to require longer cooking. This curry took 7 mins to cook.

Right, I'd also precooked the chicken or lamb in big batches and then frozen, seems like it would be easier just to marinate and then freeze uncooked in individual portions, less hassle all round.
CoR

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Actually when making this, I was curious about CK's observation of putting the bunjara in the base, but wanted to stay as close to your method as possible. So what I did was put 2 tbsp of it in the base, and added 2 tbsp directly to the pan, when you specified 4 tbsp.

Really tasty end result, but just a little too garlicky for my taste. Some minor tweaking and I think it would be closest BIR Madras yet!
Good plan with the bunjara, sounds a good way of doing it. I did a similar thing when using frozen base but using 4tbs in the finished dish as well.
Fair enough on the garlic, i just did the amount on sight and i guess i sometimes use a bit less. Having said that i always make sure it is well cooked (brownish) by the time the base goes in so didnt taste pungent like undercooked garlic. My girlfriend couldnt taste the garlic specifically.

Thanks for the complements and glad you think it worked well!

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Right, I'd also precooked the chicken or lamb in big batches and then frozen, seems like it would be easier just to marinate and then freeze uncooked in individual portions, less hassle all round.
CoR

Agreed! With the ashoka marinade it's very quick to do so it's easy to do it fresh in small batches as well. It lasts in the fridge for 3 days. Maybe 4 but i shouldnt realize advise this with chicken(!)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 06:09 AM »
I got my girlfriend to take a video of this as well which came out alright. I think i might need some help in uploading it from mods. It's a 30MB MP4 file. I've tried to convert it to AVI already but the sound got distorted. I suppose i need to try again with different codec settings but should i be aiming for AVI with MP3 audio? Actually as i remember you need it be hosted in t/internet already dont you?

Send me the original file and ill try to work with it. UB.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 10:28 AM »
I agree, with chicken,fish and prawns I will just cook from the marinade. However the lamb needs the 2 hours of pre cooking and the result is outsatanding especially with the Jaipuri recipe. Ive frozen some in freezer bags so will check out in due course.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 04:00 AM »
Hi Chinois,

Did I see somewhere that you also used only 50g of creamed coconut, in the base, rather than the 200g specified?

If so, I think you'll agree that your base is significantly different than the Ashoka base specified (i.e. evaporated milk, no margarine, significantly less coconut, significantly less salt)?

That's not to say that your base is any worse off (and maybe better) for the changes, of course, but it's significantly different nevertheless.

Maybe yet another one to try!  :P

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 11:50 AM »
Hi Chinois,

That looks perfect, very impressive  8)

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 01:25 PM »
Brilliant looking Madras Chinois - well done.

SnS  ;)

ps: Did you really add 1 tsp MSG - that is a lot :o

(nothing a gallon of water won't cure I suppose)

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Hi Chinois,

Did I see somewhere that you also used only 50g of creamed coconut, in the base, rather than the 200g specified?

If so, I think you'll agree that your base is significantly different than the Ashoka base specified (i.e. evaporated milk, no margarine, significantly less coconut, significantly less salt)?

That's not to say that your base is any worse off (and maybe better) for the changes, of course, but it's significantly different nevertheless.

Maybe yet another one to try!  :P

Yes that is true :o, i thought one of the 50g packets within the box might be what was called for as 200g looked way too much.
Obviously it seems i got it wrong! I agree i do seem to have made quite a different base. It was really nice though and seemed pretty much perfect. I'll try to stick to the letter next time and weigh up the differences. I do think the evaporated milk is a good trick and is not as unhealthy as marg. Obviously i cant comment on that as i havent tried it.
Did anyone find their attempt at the ashoka base too coconutty then?
I seem to be having problems editing my original post. The edit or ammend button seems to have gone missing so i cant correct!

©2024 Curry Recipes