Author Topic: your pref on oil or ghee  (Read 7747 times)

Offline curry_monster

• Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
your pref on oil or ghee
« on: June 07, 2005, 06:46 PM »
would be nice to know your views on this. and why and which u prefer , i tend to use ghee most of the time for base mix's and oil for the cooked meal itself. when i need to knock one up

and use oil for me meat for pre cooking. and find onions cooked in ghee taste so much better when added to certain dish's than done in oil

your feedback may help me 'and other's, more understand when to use which and why & when . cause im still confused as some top chef's use oil & some dont

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile

Offline curry_monster

• Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: your pref on oil or ghee
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 08:49 PM »
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=301.0

interesting and ive read the post. but still not there on this topic oil for one ghee for another.. and i didn't mention soz im talking butter ghee not the veg type. veg lifts a meal fat make's it.. im just wondering how many people apply butter ghee.. and oil to diferant dish's.and what they think.. i know ive made several dish's in diferant manner's using both ''not veg' and found very good result's just wondering where to apply these when needed .. im a big believer in butter ghee and think it outshines anything for a good cooking main ingrediant personaly i wouldn't be without it in any curry. as i believe this makes for the taste and smell we so much apreciate of a good indian..home base make that is....could'nt get me head round veg ghee.... way too bland CM

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 10:37 AM »
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=301.0

interesting and ive read the post. but still not there on this topic oil for one ghee for another.. and i didn't mention soz im talking butter ghee not the veg type. veg lifts a meal fat make's it.. im just wondering how many people apply butter ghee.. and oil to diferant dish's.and what they think.. i know ive made several dish's in diferant manner's using both ''not veg' and found very good result's just wondering where to apply these when needed .. im a big believer in butter ghee and think it outshines anything for a good cooking main ingrediant personaly i wouldn't be without it in any curry. as i believe this makes for the taste and smell we so much apreciate of a good indian..home base make that is....could'nt get me head round veg ghee.... way too bland CM

Never use butter ghee. I'm allergic to cows milk, so it makes me ill. Only ever found it one one BIR curry in my entire life (it was the only BIR curry to make me ill.. tasted like crap too). BIRs seem to put butter ghee on Naans, but apart from that, they don't seem to use it. Nor do I.

Rapseed oil every time. Vegetable ghee is the most pointless thing in the world. No flavour, and goes hard like lard on your plate. Gross.

We ought to put this in a FAQ!

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 11:18 AM »
I`ve noticed Rapeseed oil is used in Supermarket packet Curries.
T.Henry does it make any Difference to your Curries compared to Vegetable oil ?

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 11:54 AM »
rapeseed oil is supposed to lower cholesterol (like olive oil). Unlike olive oil its taste is fairly neutral.

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 08:17 PM »
I`ve noticed Rapeseed oil is used in Supermarket packet Curries.
T.Henry does it make any Difference to your Curries compared to Vegetable oil ?

Rapseed oil = vegetable oil!

Same thing :)

©2024 Curry Recipes