Author Topic: Kick Ass Chili Con Carne  (Read 27103 times)

Offline Rob290482

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Kick Ass Chili Con Carne
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 08:59 PM »
Just tried it and it was far far to hot! It might have been the 12 green chillies I used. They were finger chillies.

Offline Onion B

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 07:50 PM »
Wossie, It is called 'Kick Ass Chilli' it's meant to be hot, don't forget the chilli flakes

;D OB

Offline Rob290482

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 11:34 PM »
Wossie, It is called 'Kick Ass Chilli' it's meant to be hot, don't forget the chilli flakes

;D OB

Lol. far too hot for me, felt like someone had lit a fire in my mouth. I was sweating and even started to get the hick-ups. Plus my belly was a little off today but not too bad. I didnt even add the chilli flakes to it. to be fair though i used extra hot chilli powder and 13 small green finger chillies that were rated 4 out of 5 for hotness. they even had a warning on the side of the packet about washing your hands after handling them.

I might make another batch and leave out or get weak chillies and use mild chilli powder. The actual chilli con carne itself was very nice except the heat.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:47 PM by Rob290482 »

Offline qprbob

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 02:32 AM »
I love a good Chili Con Carne and this is must try for me. Adding coca powder is new to me, but have had chili chocolate before and it worked.

Offline Onion B

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 08:37 PM »
Lol. far too hot for me,

Only joking Rob, it's a hot one.

Next time one of your mates boasts he loves the heat, invite him round for dinner and watch his eyes pop out.

;D ;D OB

Offline Gavskin

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 03:39 PM »
Hi everyone.  Originally came here for curry advice but I had to chip in on this topic!

I always use a tin of chopped tomatoes and tomatoe puree in a chilli, wouldn't change it.  What I do add is honey which redduces the sharpness of the tomatoes and helps to give a lovely, thick, rich flavour.

Also, I do adding either barbecue sauce or barbecue seasoning as I do like a chilli with a nice, smokey flavour which either of these will add and I've always felt that tabasco sauce is an absolute must-have flavour in a chilli (though you don't need much as it is a very strong flavour!)

Offline Hargiwald

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 03:42 PM »

Until then, maybe I should translate this Swedish recipe for the other kind of chili that I found and make a thread later on here, that recipe is truly awesome.

Did you ever translate the Swedish recipe?

I'm sorry I completely forgot about it. Anyway I've since found out it's based on Frank X. Tolbert's famous chili recipe, but the ones I find in English are often less detailed (possibly that's desired anyway). I suppose I might get to work on a translation now, shouldn't take too long. It's the texas style stuff, where tomatoes, onion and minced meat are usually frowned upon in a chili.

Offline Hargiwald

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 04:30 PM »
Okay, here goes:

Spices
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp oregano
2 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp sugar
1,5 dl chili powder
Salt to taste
I also sometimes add: A few bay leaves and some cinnamon sticks. I always add alot of coarsely ground, mixed with hole seeds of, black pepper.

Main Ingredients
Six cans of light lager (About 3 litres is good)
5 dried ancho chilis:
1 chipotle http://www.thespicehouse.com/file/misc/chipotles-pair.jpg (the small ones should be anchos and the larger ones chipotles, but when I buy them they're both often the colour of the anchos)
3 birdseye (described as small and red, so I supposed it's piri piri, that's what I use anyway.
4 green jalape?os
10 large garlic cloves
5 red meat, cubes of 1x1 cm.
0,5-1 dl wheat flour
3 dl beef broth (I usually just add some extra water and add appropriate amounts of Bouillon cubes, I'm lazy, but whatever you have handy you know)
Some cornmeal

For variation and an extra touch I sometimes add an extra chipotle (I love its smoky taste), a glass of red wine or whiskey (I never use both at the same time, doesn't seem like a good idea).

How to cook it:

The Swedish recipe makes alot of allusions to drinking tequila while you cook, I hate tequila and I think that's highly optional, I'd go for some whiskey instead!

1. The chilies: Remove stalks and deseed, and chop into pieces. Boil the dried chiles in water for 15 minutes with a lid on, don't thrown away the water! Note: Be careful with where you put your fingers, especially after handling the birdseyes. The Swedish recipe says this: "If you put your finger in your nose you might as well have tried picking it with a soldering iron". Wash your hands when you're done too.
2. Chop up the garlic (you don't need to chop it too finely)
3. Brown the garlic and put into a large cast iron cooking pit.
4. Fry the meat and add it too, make sure the pieces have a nice colour, don't fry too much too much at the same time.
5. Mix the spices with the wheat flour and add to the pot.
6. Remove the boiled dried chilis from the water, again don't throw the water away, and mash the chilis. Then add them and the unboiled chili peppers to the pot. Add all the liquids (chili water, beer and broth/stock/whatever) so that it covers the meat.
7. Bring to a boil, make sure to stir often so that nothing burns.
8. Keep this up until the meat starts falling apart, this usually takes 2 to 3 hours, so make sure to have a good book, or even better make this outside on a warm summer's even with alot of friends around to talk to.

You can also use the time to prepare something to eat with the chili. Recommended: A good guacemole or just sour cream with chopped onion is good help against the heat, so is tortillas. Grated cheese is also good. Some like a good piece of bread to dip into the stew, and beans to the side is nice, though you shouldn't add any in the stew (they'll be boiled to nothing). Of course you should drink beer to this, and whiskey if you like.

If the chili isn't thick enough when it's done add some cornmeal.

I've used this recipe many times with good results, but I think it's pretty important that you get the chili peppers right if nothing else.

Offline Onion B

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 08:37 PM »
"Be careful with where you put your fingers, especially after handling the birdseyes. The Swedish recipe says this: "If you put your finger in your nose you might as well have tried picking it with a soldering iron"

After 3 ltrs of lager i could probably stick a soldering iron in my eye and feel nothing, but i will give it a go..

Offline Hargiwald

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 10:13 PM »
"Be careful with where you put your fingers, especially after handling the birdseyes. The Swedish recipe says this: "If you put your finger in your nose you might as well have tried picking it with a soldering iron"

After 3 ltrs of lager i could probably stick a soldering iron in my eye and feel nothing, but i will give it a go..

Well you're either a strong man or you can't take your booze then ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes