Author Topic: Kick Ass Chili Con Carne  (Read 27085 times)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Kick Ass Chili Con Carne
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 02:29 PM »
Chili Con Carne

Serves 4

12 Fresh Green Chillies - Fine Chop (seeds not removed)

Making this for tea, but only using 3 bullet chillies. Have to say it smells good cooking.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 05:28 PM by George »

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 01:09 PM »
I've just made this, after the frying stage I transferred it all into the slow cooker for 3 hrs on low and it really melted down together nicely. Half a tsp of salt seemed way too little, even for me who never normally adds much salt.

Tasted it - woaaa.. It's fiery! I used rajah chili powder (2 heaped tsp) and 12 Birdseye chillies and it's blown my socks off! To be eaten with plenty of lager then :)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Is the liquid from the tinned tomatoes sufficeint to prevent it drying out?  Most recipes I have seen add either water or red wine.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 10:05 PM »
With the liquid from the toms plus a small swish of water to wash out the remaining tomato stuck to the sides of the tin it was fine for the slow cooker, because there's really no evaporation from a slow cooker. The beef renders out fat as it cooks which helps loosen the mix up as well.

If I were to try to cook it on the hob for 2 hrs then even on the lowest heat I'm sure it would need some liquid adding from time to time to loosen it up.

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 11:53 PM »
Thanks.  I might give it a go in a pressure cooker!

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 09:19 AM »
You'll need some spare liquid in there to account for the steam lost in pressure cooking but presumably you're used to using a PC? It's not like a slow cooker recirculating the liquid with no losses.

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 11:38 AM »
You'll need some spare liquid in there to account for the steam lost in pressure cooking but presumably you're used to using a PC? It's not like a slow cooker recirculating the liquid with no losses.

tbh i've only used PC a few times but I'll take your advice and add some liquid.

Offline hezzie

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 01:05 PM »
Great a couple of chilli recipes, I put a post on here a while ago asking for a recipe so I'll give these two a go. The first one 12 chilli's and then stick some chilli seeds on top, you'd have to have some gonads the size of basketballs to do that.....might give it a go though as I love fiery food.  :D

Offline hezzie

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 01:13 PM »
Chili Con Carne

Garnish with dry chili flakes if you dare

I dared...WOW.

You did  :o

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 10:39 PM »
I really really rate this recipe - today I polished off one of my frozen portions from when I made a batch in early July, served over chips with some nice grated cheese on top. Lovely grub!

©2024 Curry Recipes