Author Topic: Kick Ass Chili Con Carne  (Read 27039 times)

Offline bob3915

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Kick Ass Chili Con Carne
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2014, 05:39 PM »
hi guys, I also really unclebucks chilli, had it 4 or 5 times now, although less chillies for me too, I would like to try this in a slow cooker, could anyone give me some points on how to go about it? ie, do I prepare and cook it the same but put in slow cooker instead of leaving on the hob? or is it all done in the slow cooker? also how long for? mush appreiciate any help, cheers, bob.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 06:14 PM »
Hi Bob,

Prepare it on the hob to the point where it's ready to simmer (up to temperature) then transfer to the slow cooker. Be aware due to the lack of evaporation from a slow cooker you need to avoid it being too loose (don't add excess water - use a spatula to scrape out the tins of tomatoes rather than swilling out with water) as it will slacken as it cooks due to the beef mince breaking down and fat rendering out.

Try not to stir too often but I do stir mine 3 or 4 times over 6 hours low simmer because it's quite thick. Below my own notes on my bulk version which fills a 6.5litre slow cooker:

Chili Con Carne bulk version - yield is 12 x 325g portions

1.5kg Minced Beef
3 large Onion - Fine Chop
1 Red Pepper - Fine Chop
1 green pepper - fine chop
9 Cloves of Garlic - Crushed
3 400g Can of Kidney Beans (maybe increase to 4 next time?)
4 400g Can Chopped Plum Tomatoes
36 Fresh Green Chillies - Fine Chop (seeds not removed)
6 rounded tbs tomato puree (160g)

The Spices and Herbs(Dry) LEVEL spoonfuls

6 tbsp dried mixed herbs
2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
2 Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
2 Tbsp paprika
5 tbsp Chilli Powder
1 Tbsp Salt or to Taste

Method:

First prep peppers, chillies, garlic and onions. Measure spices while browning meat:
1. In large pan preheat then add meat in batches, trying to get colour on it without burning and transfer into slow cooker once beef is browned. No oil necessary if using 80/20 minced beef. Reserve the fat from the mince and allow to separate.
2. Spoon all fat (was 6 dessertspoonfuls of fat) back into pan then add onion and  and sweat till translucent for 5 to 10 mins then add red & green pepper and fry for 5 mins.
3. Add garlic and green chillies and fry 5 mins mixing to prevent sticking
4. then add the toms, Tom puree and beans, and bring to the simmer.
5. When ingredients are simmering add spices and herbs and stir in then add meat & stir in. Consistency should be quite stiff at this point.

Transfer to slow cooker and bring to boil on high, then set to low for 4 to 6 hours, stirring once every two hours.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:28 PM by natterjak »

Offline bob3915

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 06:41 PM »
thanks for that, the reason I was asking is I'd like to make some for me and some workmates to have one lunchtime, do you think it would work ok to get to the simmer stage one night then leave to go cold then take to work the next day and put in the slow cooker? cheers, bob. thanks for your other recipe and method aswell.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2014, 07:01 PM »
In my experience, Bob, slow cookers are not well suited to bringing things to serving temperature; they are far better at maintaining that temperature when something already hot is placed in them.  So my recommendation would be to cook to near-completion using NJ's methodology, and then either (a) transport the slow cooker to your office as quickly as possible, and plug it back in there for the last hour or so, or (b) as preceding, but finish it off at your office using a faster source of heat, such as a microwave oven or even a conventional hob, depending on what facililies you have available to you there.

** Phil.

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2014, 08:13 PM »
Hi Bob,
Chili Con Carne bulk version - yield is 12 x 325g portions

Nice one NJ - good to see people still enjoy this one.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:34 PM by George »

Offline bob3915

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2014, 05:42 PM »
thanks again for your time, i'll go for the cook fully  night before and microwave at work, cheers,bob.

Offline wikiwawa

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2014, 07:29 PM »
Agree with just about everything suggested here. Not made a chilli for a while for some reason, but I use pretty much the same recipe, with the addition of a little bit of star anise and using good quality, dark chocolate rather than cocoa powder - must be at least 80% cocoa though (preferably more)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2014, 02:30 AM »
Ignore
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:10 PM by uclown2002 »

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2014, 09:30 AM »
In my experience, Bob, slow cookers are not well suited to bringing things to serving temperature

** Phil.

Their job is to spend hours reaching that temperature- and then maintaining it :)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2014, 03:09 PM »
I intend to revisit this excellent recipe although I'm keen to use up some dried birds eye chillies, in the absence of fresh. I've little experience of using dried chillies so I'm hoping someone can recommend the best method for using them in this recipe!

©2024 Curry Recipes