Author Topic: MSG  (Read 4234 times)

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
MSG
« on: January 20, 2009, 10:47 PM »
In the the continuing quest for curry perfection, I tried adding a few drops of Maggi seasoning (dark liquid stuff, small bottle, local supermarket), to my 'standard' chicken madras tonight.  The stuff must be really concentrated because only a fewdrops seemed to be noticable.

It contains (amongst opther things) MSG and wheat extracts (presumably other glutamates).

As I understand it, MSG is a flavour enhancer; it's supposed to be the "5th taste", after sweet, salt, sour and bitter.  This extra taste being known as "umami" for some reason!

I have to say it, didn't seem to make a positive contribution to the result.  A few days back I tried putting a couple of drops in 100ml or so of water to get an idea of the flavour.  I appreciate that at this point you may be thinking that that's irrelevant, it's how it enhances the other flavours that matters.  I guess I was just interested to know!  Soy sauce is supposed to enhance food in a similar manner, and apart from loads of salt, that too contains wheat products and presumably glutamates.  The Maggi flavour does seem very slighty remenicent of soy to me.  Both 'her-in-doors' and I thought it added a slight soy-like note that clashed with the other flavours.

I've heard that MSG is used in Chinese restaurants quite a lot, in rice dishes for example.  I wonder what the received wisdom is on what sort dishes and flavours are enhanced by MSG, and what arn't??

It would be useful to know if anyone has any ideas?

I understand that MSG isn't very fashionable at present, part of that has to do with with the fact that 'monosodium glutamate' sounds more like a laboratory reagent than a foodstuff, but then most food products could ultimately be discribed in that manner!  I may be wrong, but I can't imagine that small amounts, very occasionally eaten, could be any more harmful than, for example, the 3 or so tbs of oil that goes into a typical curry !

Anyhow ,if anyone has any ideas on what type of dish MSG works best in I love to know!  My local Asian shop sells great big bags of MSG, possibly to restaurants for all I know!

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: MSG
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 11:08 PM »
In the the continuing quest for curry perfection, I tried adding a few drops of Maggi seasoning

I've been there in my quest for the taste. Doesn't do any good though. It's a Nestle product used for enhancing soups and gravies. I hate the smell. Sickly and a little ewww.

Msg gives the illusion of glutamates in food. Good wholesome quality ingredients, e.g. ripe tomatos have glutamates in quantity already. The ingredients of an indian curry are probably fairly naturally plentiful in glutamates, so msg doesnt make much difference.

However, take something bland, like cheap supermarket not too ripe tomatoes, add a pinch, and they become more the like the vine ripened variety. Incidentally, I believe that Parmesan has the highest amount of naturally occurring glutamates of all western food (Japanese seaweed has loads, maybe more, I'm not sure, but they've used it in their noodle soups way before the days of msg).

Chinese use it a lot to make basic ingredients taste like quality ingredients. It makes bland foods, especially meats, taste better. I think Indian food is complex and flavoursome to a degree that makes the use of msg unnecessary.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 11:13 PM »
Thanks Bobby, that makes sense.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 12:56 AM »
Glutamates enhance their flavour when combined with other glutames is what heston blumenthal says in the perfection book i've got. Curries have onion, tomato and meat in which all contain glutamate.
I wouldnt say it's the secret ingredient but it adds savouriness (the reason it's called ummami is bcos that's the japanese translation and they 'discovered' the taste).
As we're after savoriness i have been experimenting with it. It does improve the dish but it doesnt make it more currylike or more BIR i dont think. I still need to do a side by side comparison.
The health claims seem to be unfounded, i've read some articles on it. Seems to be 'better' for you than salt, sugar, paracetamol etc
Other ingredients that are stong in savoriness are steak (or any dark grilled meat) & mushrooms. I only serve my steak chargrilled and with well fried mushrooms and tomatoes. The taste combination is outstanding, an amazing combination. That is glutamate combo in action so it shouldnt be ignored!
As BB says, that is a good reason parmesan is used with meats, tomatoes etc.

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 04:19 PM »
Thanks Chinois, both you and Bobby have increased my understanding of MSG a great deal!

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 04:24 PM »
Everything you need to know about MSG here (for all you marmite munchers) ;D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2005/jul/10/foodanddrink.features3

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 10:20 PM »
Everything you need to know about MSG here (for all you marmite munchers) ;D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2005/jul/10/foodanddrink.features3

That's a good article, long but interesting!

©2024 Curry Recipes