Author Topic: Josh's Restaurant Naan Bread  (Read 20501 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Josh's Restaurant Naan Bread
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 09:01 PM »
Hi Gaz

for your garlic and coriander butter do you have a quick recpie you use

Very quick,

3 tbsp of butter or butter ghee
1 tbsp fresh chopped coriander
1 tsp of G/G paste

Bang in the microwave for 30 seconds

Stir

In microwave for another 30 seconds

Done!

Seeeemples ;D

Ray :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 09:55 PM »
Granite block heating up

That's a very similar block to the one I've had in my oven permanently for perhaps 5 years. I've lost count of how many things - bread, pizzas, naans, etc - have gone directly on to my granite slab (no foil, most of the time). The granite hasn't cracked and I haven't suffered any ill effects.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 10:18 PM »
Hi George,

Seems to have done the job.  Just need a bit more practise with the naan making but I'll get there in the end.

Ray :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Razor,

well pleased for you. nice piece of granite too.

you know your now on the slippery slope to pizza.

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2011, 08:05 PM »
Ray,

that naan looked bang on for me i dont like them too thick and stodgy.

I use Joshs recipe all the time mate andfind the taste and freshness is spot on.

think i will use my pizza stone next time now after seeing yours.

Alan ;D

Offline caze

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2011, 04:25 PM »
What's the difference between 'quick rise' yeast and regular yeast? As far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be any standardised definitions. There seem to be three main types of bread yeast on the market, fresh yeast (comes in a block, needs to be disolved in warm water), dried yeast (also needs to be disolved in warm water, with something to feed on, like a bit of flour or sugar), and then there seem to be different products (all with different names by the looks of things) which are dried yeast with various addatives that don't need to be proved in water first (is this what you are refferring to?). All I have is 'McDougalls Fast Action Bread Yeast', I'm not sure wether this qualifies as dried yeast, or quick-rise yeast (it contains Ascorbic Acid and Calcium Sulphate, not sure if either of these are rising agents though).

I've never had much luck making Naan's before, going to try this recipe tonight, hopefully I'll have better luck. I have a pizza stone, but my oven only goes up to 230 C (I'm very happy with the pizza's I make, so hopefully it'll do the job).

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 04:30 PM »
Your McDougalls Fast Action Yeast is the same thing as quick rise. Principally, it cuts the prove time from roughly half to a third of that of Active Yeast.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 04:36 PM »
What's the difference between 'quick rise' yeast and regular yeast?

both are dried yeast. the quick rise (IDY Instant Dried Yeast) can be added in powder form direct to the flour. the regular (ADY Active Dried Yeast) needs "activating" in water before adding to the flour.

i feel the regular produces a better "yeasty" flavour ie closer to fresh yeast

the quick rise is stronger ie needs less than for the regular

Offline caze

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, 04:57 PM »
Your McDougalls Fast Action Yeast is the same thing as quick rise. Principally, it cuts the prove time from roughly half to a third of that of Active Yeast.
This recipe calls for a proving time of 2-3 hours, that seems a little excessive, especially if the quick-rise yeast is supposed to save time there.

When I make pizzas using this yeast it usually takes my 1/2 cup of flour 1st proof half an hour to double in size, then the final dough doubles in size after around an hour.

Offline caze

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 06:40 PM »
I've just made the dough for this now, the recipe seemed far too wet for me, not sure why you say to use a cup of milk and then say you'll probably only need half of it. I used less than half of the milk-egg-ghee mixture and the dough was still far too wet, I added enough plain flour to bring it up to almost sticky/very elastic after kneeding for 5-10 mins. It's prooving away now, and the ovens heating up, looking forward to trying it out soon.

©2024 Curry Recipes