Author Topic: How to Make Spicy Oil ? The Secret to Truly Replicating BIR curries?  (Read 101988 times)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: How to Make Spicy Oil ? The Secret to Truly Replicating BIR curries?
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2014, 07:28 AM »
Haha lc your post made me read it, well speed read it, The last 2 pages have some good comments though   :)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2014, 11:10 AM »
After reading all the pages on this thread my head hurts :'( And the secret was never in the oil ??? Gutted.

:D

Offline Curry Hotter

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2016, 05:47 PM »
After reading all the pages on this thread my head hurts :'( And the secret was never in the oil ??? Gutted.

I know I'm replying to a post from 2014 and my head hurt too after reading the entire thread but I do think the secret is in the oil!

The missing taste / smell  is the same as that from poppadoms, which are simply fried in oil, which I'm guessing has some other spices added or perhaps has just picked up the flavours from whatever was previously fried in it (mostly onion bhajis?).

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2016, 06:50 PM »
I would suggest you read this thread and don't waste time chasing shadows.  The oil is but one SMALL contributor to the BIR flavour and smell - that's my opinion anyway  ;D

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,8533.msg75496.html#msg75496

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2016, 07:03 PM »
I would suggest you read this thread and don't waste time chasing shadows.  The oil is but one SMALL contributor to the BIR flavour and smell - that's my opinion anyway  ;D

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,8533.msg75496.html#msg75496
I Agree I pre cooked some chicken at the weekend using CBM advanced method and used some of the left over oil to start a Dhansak which tasted the some as using fresh oil.

London.

Offline Curry Hotter

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2016, 08:41 PM »

Thanks but didn't get the relevance of that thread as it's talking more about making a large base rather than reusing oil. :?

I know there's a lot of variables but the key difference between my lamb bhuna and a decent restaurant bhuna seems to be that smokey sweet, almost dusty tasting oil which you get with every BIR dish.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2017, 10:51 AM »
Just a thought on 'spicy' oil.  About 4 years back, I used up some of my 50,000 scoville heat rated chillis to make 4 litres of chilli infused virgin olive oil.  I gave a litre of this to my neighbour - Pakistani - she rated it as very good in her cooking.

I note my daughter also uses garlic infused olive oil in her cooking.

Maybe there is a route to goal via using these types of oil?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2017, 10:59 AM »
I use both, although I use the (far cheaper) infused rapeseed oils than the over-priced (and less suited for cooking, because of its lower smoke point [1]) olive oil in both Chinese and Indian cuisine.

** Phil.
--------
[1] http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/healthy-eating/everything-you-know-about-cooking-with-oil-is-wrong/

©2024 Curry Recipes