Author Topic: How to Make Spicy Oil ? The Secret to Truly Replicating BIR curries?  (Read 101985 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: How to Make Spicy Oil ? The Secret to Truly Replicating BIR curries?
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 11:21 PM »
I'm sure that, if it is done in a BIR, it can be reproduced at home...and probably with more consistent and reproducable results.

The question is how?

I have been told on a number of occasions that oil is not reused, wether or not they are telling the truth I don't know.  I used to use my own 'spiced oil' in the past and it never made that much of a difference, not enough to bother scooping it out and storing it separately every time.  After Haldi's experiments above I have an open mind and it would be intresting to see if anyone could reproduce this BIR oil.  

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 11:29 PM »
i think the flavour from the oil is a result of many many
usings.. it needs to be really infused with flavour to make much of a difference

I think you're probably right LB.....but I feel that there is no real reason why such an infused spicy oil can't be "synthesised" at home....but by using a different method (than BIRs use) for that purpose alone...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:56 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 11:31 PM »
CoryAnder, have you tried going to a BIR and purchasing some oil from the top of a simmering base?  Cook with it, and then you'll know.   

This is what Haldi (and I think MarkJ) have done.  It is Haldi's conviction that this enables him to fully replicate decent BIR curries that motivates me to pursue reproducing this spicy oil at home...

...I know CurryQueen is also a keen advocate.

Here are some pics of the stuff MarkJ got from his local BIR:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 03:55 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 11:33 PM »
Is there a difference between 'recycled' oil and 'seasoned' oil?

I guess I'm assuming that "recycled/reused" oil is also "seasoned" so, to me, they become one in the same? 

Purposely seasoned oil may well be the answer to that missing 5%

Yes, this is what I'm suggesting SnS

I ask because seasoned fresh oil is used in other branches of Asian cookery.

Absolutely!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:04 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 11:34 PM »
heres some older threads

Thanks for the links UB..interesting to read and also to see how old these are!

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 11:45 PM »
I have only seen ONE 'demo', a curry cooked for me years back, fresh oil was used.  However it was a good curry, but not a fantastic one!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 11:47 PM »
I used to use my own 'spiced oil' in the past and it never made that much of a difference, not enough to bother scooping it out and storing it separately every time

Have you simply scooped it off your curry base and off any curries that you've made CK?  This seems to be the most common practice by members who use a spiced oil?

What about making a spiced oil infusion specically for the purpose?  Has anyone tried that?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 12:01 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 11:50 PM »
I don't think you replicate it at home

I don't think I'll EVER accept that CK!  :P ;D

Offline chowie

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 03:37 AM »

After seeing the Malik videos before I've since thought oil has a big part to play. But the oil that's in your base and a fair bit too. Oil does add to the taste for me, last curries I made I used oil from the base, mixed it with some oil I used for Pakoras and popadoms and added some chili oil all mixed in a bowl and used that for making the final curry, but ultimately I would like to try the following one day.

I think it can be done at home, but you will have to eat curry all week maybe longer.

Example, make a base, use around 60-70% of it then make another base and add the remaining old base and continue and after many changes you should have some well spiced oil in that base and into your dishes. A constant base out on the stove and making allot of curry, or I suppose you could throw it away each day but that's just cruel, maybe freeze a bit each day.

Just writing this reminds me, it's a bit like keeping a fish tank healthy, anyone whose kept fish may relate to that, you just can't start a fresh tank everytime you clean it, the water needs to be chemically matured and balanced.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 08:02 AM »
Ok Haldi you have convinced me to try this oil, sounds cool. i will have to pluck up courage to ask to purchase some oil next visit to the local bir. Haldi do you think they make this oil as a by product of bulk cooking? or do you think they make it separetely? surely reclaiming oil from base will only ever provide enough oil for at most 20 customers? 

©2024 Curry Recipes