Author Topic: How to Make Spicy Oil ? The Secret to Truly Replicating BIR curries?  (Read 101991 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How to Make Spicy Oil ? The Secret to Truly Replicating BIR curries?
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2009, 10:41 PM »
I couldn't really tell it was there to be completely honest.

I'm afraid I share your view. Just tried it now with a Madras. No major change. :(

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2009, 12:40 AM »
I didn't see that onion or capsicum would contribute a great deal , so I omitted them. The same can be said for the panch phoran and sugar.  I decided to add some fresh green chillies since I'm always trying to impart more of a chili flavour into my curries

You may be right BB.  I only made the oil this way because I figured the method resembled making a highly spiced curry base (i.e. and is therefore similar to the oil that BIRs may use if and when they reclaim it from their curry base). 

My thinking was that the onions might be important for that "oniony" flavour.  And the sugar was to there to make the oil sweet, obviously.

I didn't add chillies (or chilli powder), either, because I wanted an oil that was versatile enough (i.e. not hot) to use in mild dishes (such as korma) too.

I have recently made a hot spiced oil (I was really after taking bitterness out of the chilli powder) by simply frying chilli powder in lots of oil.  The oil actually comes out very nice, with a nice BIR aroma and lovely deep red colour.  It may be OK for kormas too, I'm not sure yet.

I definitely don't present the method as the final say in making spiced oil....I'd welcome loads more suggestions for improvement.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2009, 12:45 AM »
I couldn't really tell it was there to be completely honest.

I'm afraid I share your view. Just tried it now with a Madras. No major change. :(

I agree too Bobby.  To be honest, I think the effect of using spiced oil (this oil, anyway) is marginal rather than major. 

But I do think it's an incremental improvement and definitely worth pursuing (perhaps using a more simple method removing some of the perishable ingredients).

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2009, 12:46 AM »
I didn't add chillies (or chilli powder), either, because I wanted an oil that was versatile enough (i.e. not hot) to use in mild dishes (such as korma) too.

Hahaha, I knew that was coming, and I'm sure you know what my response is going to be. Stop making poofy curries!!! :D A Korma doesn't need the same level of savoury spiciness as decent curries. It just need sweet coconutty creaminess.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2009, 01:24 AM »
Korma doesn't need the same level of savoury spiciness as decent curries. It just need sweet coconutty creaminess.

Ahhhhhh, that's where you and I disagree then Bobby!  Because, to me, a decent BIR Korma ALSO has that savoury BIR taste and smell (and a degree of spicy oiliness to boot!)!  :P

And, to my mind, is MUCH harder to produce in mild curries, like kormas......

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2009, 01:23 PM »
And, to my mind, is MUCH harder to produce in mild curries, like kormas......

I wouldn't know because I'm not a big girl.  ;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2009, 09:55 PM »
Hey guys. Around a week ago, I reached for the spiced oil from the fridge. A black spot of mold was on top. That was around 2 weeks after making it. I can't promise I always used a clean spoon for it however. I may have fried the onions, garlic, ginger, etc and used the same spoon to top up a little. I don't think so, but as you know, when the curries cooking, there's little time to spare!

I would also like to add that the star anise adds too much of its flavour and smell to the oil. I've never liked the use of it in Indian food - I think it doesn't work well in CA's rice either. It has a Chinese food type taste to me.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2009, 12:22 AM »
I would also like to add that the star anise adds too much of its flavour and smell to the oil. I've never liked the use of it in Indian food - I think it doesn't work well in CA's rice either. It has a Chinese food type taste to me.

Interesting comment, BB, because some people would put star anise forward as a "secret ingredient" of BIRs!  :P

I agree that it has a very distinctive and powerful taste and needs to be used in moderation (if at all)!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2009, 01:41 PM »
I have been attempting to make spiced oil and decided to try making it as follows:

Ingredients:

- 500ml vegetable oil
- 400g onions (coarsely chopped)
- 1 tbsp garlic (pureed)
- 1 tsp ginger (pureed)
- 1 tbsp green capsicum (diced)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp spice mix (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3765.0)
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 brown cardamom
- 6 green cardamoms
- 2 inch stick of cassia bark
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp panch phoran
- 1 clove
- 2 litres water
- 1 tbsp sugar

Method:

- Heat oil and gently fry onions for a few minutes until soft
- Add whole spices and gently fry for 2 minutes
- Add garlic, ginger and green capsicum and gently fry for 2 minutes
- Add tomato paste and powdered spices and gently fry for 2 minutes
- Add water and sugar and gently simmer (covered) for 3 hours
- Skim oil from the surface and filter through a colander to remove any solids
- Filter through several layers of muslin cloth to remove fine particles
- Store in a plastic bottle in the fridge

Results:

The resultant oil was orange/red colour, sweetish, and tasted and smelt pleasantly of onions and spices. 

Comments:

I have no idea if this looks or tastes like the oil that BIRs may use to cook their curries because I have never seen or tasted any, but it looks and tastes similar to the oil that is released from the BIR curries themselves.

I chose a method that resembles the preparation of a curry base except this was made for the sole purpose of making the spiced oil (I ditched the solids).  I am uncertain that removing lots of oil from a curry base is sensible since it is likely to diminish the spice flavours in the curry base.

I believe synthesising spiced oil has merits and would welcome any comments or suggestions on the best way to prepare it.

I haven't cooked with it yet and will provide an update when I have.

Here is a picture:

What is Panch Phoran please?

©2024 Curry Recipes