Author Topic: How to Make Spicy Oil ? The Secret to Truly Replicating BIR curries?  (Read 102411 times)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
I used this oil in Chicken Dansak - great taste - thank you

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How to Make Spicy Oil ? The Secret to Truly Replicating BIR curries?
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2011, 11:42 AM »
I used this in CA's Dhansak also.Was very impressed(In the Dhansak) and hope the work that goes into the oil is worth it.
It really is a chore to make, and if the oil only lasts for a week or 2, then I wont be bothering again im afraid.
The shimming is a real pain in the butt!!
Great Dhansak though.
Cheers CA!
Matt

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2011, 02:26 PM »
I used this oil in Chicken Dansak - great taste - thank you

I used this in CA's Dhansak also.Was very impressed(In the Dhansak) and hope the work that goes into the oil is worth it.  It really is a chore to make, and if the oil only lasts for a week or 2, then I wont be bothering again im afraid.  The shimming is a real pain in the butt!!  Great Dhansak though.  Cheers CA!  Matt

Could I just ask you both to clarify (no pun intended !) which recipe you have been using ?  This thread is now nine pages long, and it would be only to easy to think that you were referring to one recipe when you were  in fact referring to another.  A link to the exact message would be perfect !

** Phil.

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2011, 04:02 PM »
I was referring to the original, on page 1

Matt

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2011, 10:48 PM »
Could I just ask you both to clarify (no pun intended !) which recipe you have been using ?  ... A link to the exact message would be perfect !

Good question, as was CA's original query, approach and main point.

After madmatt's response, I'm now even more confused. I can't see a recipe on page 1. There are 4 links but, if that's what's meant, then which one?

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2011, 04:20 PM »
Apologies.
I thought this was the link that had the recipe on.Here is a link to CA's Spiced oil I made.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3295.msg34667#msg34667

On reflection the oil tasts great, but it is work to make.Time consuming, and make any main dish look simples to make, so I doubt I will bother again.Saying that my jar in the fridge is not showing any sighs of going mouldy yet.

Regards

Matt

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2011, 08:56 AM »
Apologies.
I thought this was the link that had the recipe on.  Here is a link to CA's Spiced oil I made.
Many thanks, Matt : much appreciated.

On reflection the oil tasts great, but it is work to make.Time consuming, and make any main dish look simples to make, so I doubt I will bother again.Saying that my jar in the fridge is not showing any sighs of going mouldy yet.
I have used only recovered oil in the past, but may well give this one a try; as regards "going off", being oil I don't even store it in the 'fridge -- it just lurks on the working surface in a screw-top jar, is replenished whenever there is surplus oil in a dish, and never ever goes off !

** Phil.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2011, 10:24 AM »
Apologies. I thought this was the link that had the recipe on.Here is a link to CA's Spiced oil I made.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3295.msg34667#msg34667

Many thanks. I must try making this oil. Like Phil suggests, I doubt if oil 'goes off' even if kept for a long time. I expect the high temperatures involved with any subsequent use of the oil would kill any bacteria (even something as serious as Salmonella) and even if it tasted bad, I doubt if it would do you any harm, not that I'm an expert on health matters.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2011, 10:41 AM »
I don't want to sound all H&S or preachy but everybody should be aware of the botulism potential of storing garlic in oil. The botulism spores are only killed at temps of above approx 120 degrees C.

Secondly oil can and does go rancid over time. Just google rancid oil and garlic and botulisim.
Rancid oil is really bad for you.

Offline Wickerman

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2011, 10:40 AM »

Hello all.
I'm making CA's Madras this weekend and going by the book,so what better place to start than with the Spiced oil.
The only thing that's stopped me making it before has been  the lengthy 3hour cooking time...but had a bit of time on my hands this week so gave it a whirl.
Anyway,here's how it went:

Everything apart from the water.

All ready to simmer.(with lid)

All done.
Had some wonderful smells wafting around the kitchen during cooking.
The oil is the exact colour of Lucozade,and tastes wonderful
(Spicy Onions .)
Will be pouring off 75mls for the madras and will atempt to freeze the rest.
I look forward to using it in the finished dish.
Many thanks Cory Ander.
PS .Will be making gravy base later today.
WM.

©2024 Curry Recipes