Author Topic: Lamb and Chicken Madras (Ashoka)  (Read 8363 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Lamb and Chicken Madras (Ashoka)
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:37 AM »
Here are some pics of my Lamb and Chicken Madras produced using the Ashoka (curry base and onion paste) recipes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:59 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb and Chicken Madras (Ashoka)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 03:02 PM »
Excellent pic's as always CA, how did you find the Ashoka recipes compared to your usual?

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 08:16 PM »
hi CA great looking curries just makes you want to lick the monitor. oh well will have to put up with smelling the reheated vindaloo for tonights dinner. only ever had lamb once from my local( the missus doesnot eat lamb) they actually delivered the wrong dish i had ordered a vindaloo and for some reason they had put someones lamb bhuna in the wrong bag, tasted great and flavoured especially as had to eat it the next day ;D must order their lamb vindaloo one day
regards
gary

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:31 PM »
They look the business CA. What's the verdict on the BIR'o'meter?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 03:44 PM »
How did you find the Ashoka recipes compared to your usual?

Quote from: Secret Santa
What's the verdict on the BIR'o'meter?

I think the the Ashoka curry base compares very favourably with the best bases on the forum.  However, I would personally reduce the amount of coconut (to 50g say) and the margarine (significantly...and possibly omit it) to make it less greasy.

The onion paste is interesting.  On it's on it smells good, but I'm not convinced it contributes a huge difference to the final dish.  The risk (in its preparation) is that the onions fry...if that is a risk? But I think it has merit and I'll probably experiment with caramelising the onions with a little sugar and vinegar.

The garlic/ginger paste isn't really any different (apart from the tumeric) than frying them on commencing cooking (as is more commonly practiced).  It doesn't really save any time (or achieve much else to my mind) by frying it (minimally) beforehand.  I'm interested in frying it for much longer though..in which case it might be a more attractive proposition.

I can't really comment on the main recipes since they are of my own concoction (since there aren't any Ashoka madras recipes yet).

But the final curries are definitely very tasty, very moreish, and with a good flavour and aroma.  I think the predominant taste/smell is garlic (which there is oodles of!).

Regarding the "BIR'o'meter"....good, but still lacking for me.

©2024 Curry Recipes