Author Topic: UBs Uncle Buck's Garlic Chilli Chicken using Safron's Base & Blades Tikka  (Read 2730 times)

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Just finished producing UBs Garlic Chilli Chicken recipe (Adapted upwards for using 400ml Base, his recipe is for 200ml Base ) easily found in the Main BIR menus section under alternatives at the bottom of the listing.

I used Saffron's Base produced to the letter and used Blade's Tikka recipe for the Chicken ( Quantities adapted for 2 chicken breasts )

Everything was made following all recipes to the letter with the exception of the following:-

Blades Tikka Recipe:
Couldnt obtain a jar of the Pataks Tandoori Paste as Im living in Turkey now  8), however I made a batch of standard Tandoori Powder ( using the standard recipe provided in the 'extras or mixes' section of this site ) sorry cant remember the name but you 'oldies will know where its at, Im just a newbie but been cooking Indian for 5 years)
To 1 desertspoon of Tandoori Powder Mix I added a level 3/4 Tsp of Tamarind Paste the runny stuff ) & mixed together. I was marinading for 2 breasts, Blades recipe is for 4 so I scaled down to the above.
Everything else in the recipe I followed exactly but scaled down volumes to suit 2 Chicken breasts.
Marinaded overnight in fridge

UBs Garlic Chilli Chicken Recipe :-

Followed exactly except for -

A) Scaling volumes upwards for 400ml Base ( Recipe is in respect of 200ml )

B) I also added 1 star anise to the cooking recipe

C) Method was followed exactly, except when it came to adding the 'Spice Mix & Methi' section of the recipe. At this point I added first the Tomato Paste fried 30 seconds, then added Spice Mix & Methi and fried for 90 seconds, added chilli Powder fried another 15 seconds, followed by a ladle at a time of base, letting it really get up to high heat before adding more until it was all in.

D) Halfway through cooking I added an extra 2 level tablespoons of Oil. ( Remember to adjust this volume up or down depending on the volume of Base you are using )

Other than a final tweak of extra Chilli Powder to my taste 5 minutes towards end of cooking, and cooked until the oil separated, thats it.

Result??

Fan Bl***y Tastic!
A Stunner, you will want to cook this often, believe me.

Give this one a go. Its a refreshing change from the usual suspects  ;D ;D

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Thanks for the feedback arststpaul  :)

glad you like it! also glad you chose the saffron base and blades Tikka you just cant go wrong!!

PS ive deleted the UB's base gravy recipe as it is no where near the standerd of the Ashoka or Saffron Base gravy's, these recipes super-seed any base in my opinion including old Brucie!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:57 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Thanks for the feedback arststpaul  :)

glad you like it! also glad you chose the saffron base and blades Tikka you just cant go wrong!!

PS ive deleted the UB's base gravy recipe as it is no where near the standerd of the Ashoka or Saffron Base gravy's, these recipes super-seed any base in my opinion including old Brucie!!

Many Thanks UB

You are too modest!

Another few thoughts of mine, probably long ago covered in much depth by seasoned members and those much more experienced than myself, but I will throw them both out anyway & see what happens or if its of help.

Like myself, we are all searching for the Holy Grail of BIR.

That elusive aroma, flavour which seems to be alluding almost everyone as far as I can see from my recent forages through the Forum, despite probably having perfected the Base in terms of ingredients, quantities and method used etc ( with the exception of whatever impact the use of their Used / flavoured oil has on the Base, which I suspect is more crucial to that 'taste' than any other singular ingredient )
That oil I believe is why all of us are unable to push our curries beyond the point most of us have reached.
We all know oil is the most perfect carrier of both aroma and flavour.
Hence its use since time began as a carrier of Scent / Perfume and as a carrier of both flavour and plant / flower extracts in Essential oils used by Therapists.
Hence its potency and impact upon both a Base and the subsequent production of the final curry too.
Ive also read on a number of posts from Members that they commented upon if they allowed their spice mix or Tomato paste to 'stay frying in a little heap in the middle of the pan for 3 or 4 minutes or more, as they have observed in BIRs, then they would invariably have a burnt offering on their hands in half such time'.
Again, I believe this is down to the use of well precooked/used/topped up Oil, call it what you like, because the Flashpoint of such oil has changed chemically allowing for a much different approach to frying the spices for much longer. Impossible to do with fresh oil. In addition, by the BIRS constantly topping up their 'Oil' with both new and used oil, this stops it going rancid.

This is a principle, used exactly the same way with the production of dough to make speciality breads. Here a dough 'Starter' is used to kick start the fresh dough. The oldest Starter known is almost 100 years old & belongs to a Sourdough Bread Bakery in Boston USA.
The Starter began life 100 years ago as a left over piece of dough from the first bread batch the Bakery made. A bit of it was added to the next batch and a little from the next batch's dough added back to the Starter and so on and so on down the years.
You can guess the flavour. Impossible to replicate it with new dough.

I think the same principal is at work here too with both the Bases and final curries.

Finally, even though they are not anywhere in the same league, the most ordinary Chinese Takeaway NEVER uses fresh oil unless they pre flavour it by cooking at least Ginger and Garlic in it. Even then I know from personal experience they muck about by using reclaimed oils aswell.

Finally, and Ive obviously gone off on a big ramble tonight, I think the pan used to cook the final curry has a fair impact too on final taste.
Ive read time over about that illusive smokey flavour / aroma. I think maybe 85% of that is down to the oil as described above, the other 15% the Pan.
Ive used Smoked Paprika to various degrees of effectiveness in trying to get that element into the curry. However I believe a VERY well internally seasoned, patinated and heavily blackened and used pan ( never washed or cleaned, just brushed down and let the next meal's flames sterilise it ) goes much towards the final 'smokey' taste. A clean shiny pan will just never hack it.

Thats it, fingers are sore. Hope it was of interest. ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes