Author Topic: Dried Fenugreek Leaves  (Read 7840 times)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dried Fenugreek Leaves
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 08:07 AM »
Dried fenugreek has been in every BIR kitchen I have seen
It doesn't go into every dish
Sometimes just a pinch goes in and other meals, such as balti and methi dishes, a desertspoon is used
None goes in korma, ctm or vindaloo
There are variations at different places

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 09:58 PM »
I use dried Fenugreek Leaves allot in my curry making.
The reason you don't see them in BIR, is that maybe they use powdered Fenugreek leaves. I often crumble them between my fingers as I'm adding them to the curry.

Try getting the smell off your fingers!!! It takes many showers!

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 07:47 PM »
The great thing about dried fenugreek leaves is also that if you get them from your local Asian grocer they are dirt cheap!!

Offline Alchemist

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Recently The Curry Guy mentioned in a video that he added the dried fenugreek leaves towards the end of the cooking process, which is opposite to what I have seen in many BIR videos, where the leaves are fried with the other spices. He thinks it helps the flavour to come through better. I notice the traditional recipes I follow seem to add the leaves later once there is more liquid in the pan, rather than frying. Interested to know others thoughts on this one?

Also, made me think about my use of fenugreek leaves, I tend to add to just about every BIR curry I make and perhaps I am overusing it?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 06:21 PM »
For me, they are a vital ingredient to a bhuna, but I use them sparingly in other dishes.  Added later rather than earlier, gently roasted (dry fried) and then rubbed between the hands.

** Phil.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 02:49 PM »
Recently The Curry Guy mentioned in a video that he added the dried fenugreek leaves towards the end of the cooking process, which is opposite to what I have seen in many BIR videos, where the leaves are fried with the other spices. He thinks it helps the flavour to come through better. I notice the traditional recipes I follow seem to add the leaves later once there is more liquid in the pan, rather than frying. Interested to know others thoughts on this one?

Also, made me think about my use of fenugreek leaves, I tend to add to just about every BIR curry I make and perhaps I am overusing it?

I admit to being a methi aficionado, so yes, will use it wherever I can, even if not strictly canon. However, I accept that that's just me and  "not BIR"  :)

As to the timing of its introduction to the dish, I think it depends on the cooking time. Does Toombs cook his curries on a lower heat and/or for less time? Methi, I think, is akin to garam masala, in that in traditional Indian cooking it is added near the end so it doesn't degrade. Whereas a BIR chef can afford to put it in near the beginning as, with a ~8? cooking time, it won't have a chance to do so.

©2024 Curry Recipes